This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
We have a bit of an airfare war going on now from New York City to Athens, Greece, led by Emirates. The Dubai-based airline seemingly is looking to fill its daily Boeing 777-operated fifth freedom route from Newark (EWR) to Athens (ATH) by offering fares as low as $458 round-trip on the nonstop route. Not to be undersold — at least by too much — Oneworld (American Airlines and partners), SkyTeam (Delta and partners) and Star Alliance (United and partners) carriers are offering similar fares on nonstop and one-stop itineraries from NYC.
Airline: Emirates, United, American, Delta, Turkish, JetBlue/Emirates
Routes: EWR/JFK/ORD/CLT/CHS to ATH
Cost: $458+ round-trip in economy
Dates: January-March and August-November
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Newark (EWR) to Athens (ATH) for $446 round-trip nonstop on Emirates via Expedia:
Newark (EWR) to Athens (ATH) for $457 round-trip nonstop on United via Expedia:
New York’s JFK to Athens (ATH) for $472 round-trip on American via Expedia:
New York’s JFK to Athens (ATH) for $477 round-trip on Delta via Expedia (booked as codeshares to avoid Basic Economy):
New York’s JFK to Athens (ATH) for $486 round-trip on SWISS via Expedia:
Chicago (ORD) to Athens (ATH) for $571 round-trip on Turkish Airlines:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
H/T: Thrifty Traveler (Emirates)
Featured image by Scott E Barbour via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees