This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Italy is one of the more popular European destinations, and if you’ve always wanted to see the Colosseum or stroll through the trendy Navigli District, you’ll want to take a look at some of the airfares currently available. Right now we’re seeing deals to both Rome (FCO) and Milan (MXP) on all three airline alliances, with prices starting at $407 round-trip.
The best dates and airlines depend on which city you’re departing from, but these itineraries are available both in February/March, and then again in the fall months of September through November. You don’t need any tricks to find these deals — just look for the dates you want using Google Flights, then book on Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline itself.
Airlines: American/Finnair/British Airways (Oneworld), United/Lufthansa/Swiss (Star Alliance), Delta/Alitalia (SkyTeam)
Routes: EWR/BOS/LAX/SFO/SJC to FCO/MXP
Cost: $407+ round-trip in economy
Dates: February-March and September-November
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York/Newark (EWR) to Rome, Italy (FCO) for $407 round-trip via Orbitz:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Milan, Italy (MXP) for $422 round-trip via Orbitz:
San Francisco (SFO) to Rome (FCO) for $432 round-trip via Orbitz:
San Jose (SJC) to Rome (FCO) for $466 round-trip via Orbitz:
Boston (BOS) to Milan (MXP) for $489 round-trip via Orbitz:
Maximize Your Purchase
Be sure to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
H/T: Thrifty Traveler
Featured image by Mark Rainey/EyeEm via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at Marriott and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,200 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees