This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Is the capital of China calling to you? Then you’ll want to take a look at these great airfares to Beijing (PEK) from cities all across the US, including New York (JFK), Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO), Seattle (SEA) and Portland (PDX), just to name a few. Prices for economy flights on Hainan Airlines are currently as low as $439 round-trip.
You can get these prices throughout March and April, and you don’t need any tricks to find them — just search the dates you want with Google Flights, then book directly with Hainan itself. Hainan is a full-service Chinese carrier with an economy product comparable to US legacy carriers, and you’ll get a meal and two free checked bags on all of these itineraries.
Since these itineraries don’t include a visit to a third country, you won’t be able to take advantage of China’s “visa-free transit” policy. Also, make sure you get the right visa before traveling or you won’t even be able to get on the plane. TPG recommends using a third-party service like Allied Passport & Visa, and if you mention The Points Guy on your order form, you’ll get a $5 discount.
Airlines: Hainan Airlines
Routes: JFK/IAD/DFW/PDX/SEA/SFO/LAX to PEK
Cost: $439+ round-trip in economy
Dates: March and April
Booking Link: Hainan Airlines
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Beijing, China (PEK) for $439 round-trip:
Portland (PDX) to Beijing (PEK) for $451 round-trip:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Beijing (PEK) for $455 round-trip:
Seattle (SEA) to Beijing (PEK) for $466 round-trip:
San Francisco (SFO) to Beijing (PEK) for $500 round-trip:
Washington, DC (IAD) to Beijing (PEK) for $520 round-trip:
Dallas (DFW) to Beijing (PEK) for $520 round-trip:
Maximize Your Purchase
Be sure to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
H/T: Secret Flying
Featured image by DuKai photographer/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees