This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
As cold weather takes its icy grip on much of the US, we’re guessing there’s a lot of you who’d love to escape to a warm destination right now. If yesterday’s deals to Hawaii (from $337 round-trip) or San Juan (from $157 round-trip) are too close to home, how about Southeast Asia?
Today we are seeing deals from a bunch of US departure cities to the wonderful cities of Singapore and Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam, for under $700 round-trip, with departure from New York City at a jaw-dropping $469 round-trip. At over 22,000 miles, that’s just 2.11 cents per flown mile, making it a great early year mileage run for those looking to re-qualify for United elite status in 2018.
To book, head to Google Flights and plug in your desired departure city. Then after finding the dates that work best for you, book with the airline directly or with an OTA such as Expedia or Priceline.
Airline: United, China Airlines, Vietnam Airlines, ANA, Asiana, Singapore
Routes: EWR/SFO/SEA/ORD/IAH to SIN/SGN
Cost: $469+ round-trip in economy
Dates: January to May 2018
Booking Link: Expedia, Priceline or with the airline directly
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Newark (EWR) to Singapore (SIN) for $469 round-trip on United:
San Francisco (SFO) to Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam (SGN) for $545 round-trip on China Airlines and Vietnam Airlines:
Seattle (SEA) to Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam (SGN) for $611 round-trip:
Chicago (ORD) to Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam (SGN) for $639 round-trip on Asiana:
San Jose, California (SJC) to Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam (SGN) for $639 round-trip on ANA:
Houston (IAH) to Singapore (SIN) for $674 round-trip on Singapore:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Chris McGrath / Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees