Deal Alert: US Cities to Singapore and Vietnam From $470 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
As cold weather takes its icy grip on much of the US, we’re guessing there’s a lot of you who’d love to escape to a warm destination right now. If yesterday’s deals to Hawaii (from $337 round-trip) or San Juan (from $157 round-trip) are too close to home, how about Southeast Asia?
Today we are seeing deals from a bunch of US departure cities to the wonderful cities of Singapore and Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam, for under $700 round-trip, with departure from New York City at a jaw-dropping $469 round-trip. At over 22,000 miles, that’s just 2.11 cents per flown mile, making it a great early year mileage run for those looking to re-qualify for United elite status in 2018.
To book, head to Google Flights and plug in your desired departure city. Then after finding the dates that work best for you, book with the airline directly or with an OTA such as Expedia or Priceline.
Airline: United, China Airlines, Vietnam Airlines, ANA, Asiana, Singapore
Routes: EWR/SFO/SEA/ORD/IAH to SIN/SGN
Cost: $469+ round-trip in economy
Dates: January to May 2018
Booking Link: Expedia, Priceline or with the airline directly
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Newark (EWR) to Singapore (SIN) for $469 round-trip on United:
San Francisco (SFO) to Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam (SGN) for $545 round-trip on China Airlines and Vietnam Airlines:
Seattle (SEA) to Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam (SGN) for $611 round-trip:
Chicago (ORD) to Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam (SGN) for $639 round-trip on Asiana:
San Jose, California (SJC) to Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam (SGN) for $639 round-trip on ANA:
Houston (IAH) to Singapore (SIN) for $674 round-trip on Singapore:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Chris McGrath / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,000 properties. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees