This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
WOW Air is promoting its new routes from the Midwest to Europe with some seriously low airfare deals. Many of the Europe-based travel deals we publish originate from the East Coast, so this deal is especially valuable for our Midwest readers.
As always, read the fine print carefully for baggage restrictions and hidden costs, and book sooner rather than later since peak travel times often have limited availability.
Airline: WOW Air
Routes: CVG/CLE/DFW/DTW/STL/PIT/ORD to KEF/TXL/AMS/FRA
Cost: $205+ round-trip in economy class
Dates: May 2018, September-November 2018
Booking Link: Use Google Flights (in an incognito browser) to find the dates you want, then book directly through the airline
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Cleveland (CLE) to Reykjavik (KEF) for $205 on WOW Air in early May:
Pittsburgh (PIT) to Berlin (TXL) for $307 round-trip end of April/early May:
Detroit (DTW) to Amsterdam (AMS) for $307 round-trip in September:
St. Louis (STL) to Frankfurt (FRA) for $347 round-trip in October:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Getty Images
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards