Watch: Crosswinds Make Bombardier Dash 8 Seem Like Paper Airplane
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This video takes us to Dusseldorf (DUS) where a Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 was attempting to land last Thursday. Eurowings, a low-cost German carrier owned by the Lufthansa Group, was flying the plane from Bologna (BLQ) to the airport in western Germany, which is known for its tricky crosswinds. According to HvdH-Plane-Spotter, the aircraft was battling intense 70-mile an hour winds on its approach to the runway.
The video begins with the Dash 8, a turboprop aircraft, turning from side to side, looking like it’s completely at the mercy of the winds. The plane appears to be at a 45 degree angle as it gets closer to the runway — it tries to align itself but gets blown back and has to land sideways. Miraculously, once its wheels touch the ground, it straightens out and completes a safe landing.
It’s a scary looking landing, but kudos to the pilots for keeping the passengers and crew safe.
Featured image by HvdH-Plane-Spotter / YouTube.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.