Watch: Crosswinds Make Bombardier Dash 8 Seem Like Paper Airplane
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This video takes us to Dusseldorf (DUS) where a Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 was attempting to land last Thursday. Eurowings, a low-cost German carrier owned by the Lufthansa Group, was flying the plane from Bologna (BLQ) to the airport in western Germany, which is known for its tricky crosswinds. According to HvdH-Plane-Spotter, the aircraft was battling intense 70-mile an hour winds on its approach to the runway.
The video begins with the Dash 8, a turboprop aircraft, turning from side to side, looking like it’s completely at the mercy of the winds. The plane appears to be at a 45 degree angle as it gets closer to the runway — it tries to align itself but gets blown back and has to land sideways. Miraculously, once its wheels touch the ground, it straightens out and completes a safe landing.
It’s a scary looking landing, but kudos to the pilots for keeping the passengers and crew safe.
Featured image by HvdH-Plane-Spotter / YouTube.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees