This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
China has temporarily suspended the use of Marriott’s website and mobile app in the country on Thursday after the chain was accused of disrespecting Chinese sovereignty. Both the website and app are set to remain inaccessible for one week.
What did Marriott do to elicit such a response from China? According to Reuters, Marriott listed Hong Kong, Macau, Tibet and Taiwan as separate countries in a customer questionnaire. In addition, according to the BBC, one of the chain’s social media accounts “liked” a post made by a group that supports separatist Tibet.
Along with closing the website for one week, the Shanghai Cyberspace Administration said that it was disabling access to the Marriott mobile app. Both moves are expected to disrupt bookings — both in China and around the world. The move could not only affect new bookings but also existing ones. According to Chinese media, some Chinese travelers are cancelling their existing reservations.
“Marriott International respects Chinese sovereignty and its territorial integrity… We sincerely apologize for any actions that led to misunderstanding on the aforementioned stance,” Marriott said in a statement.
The authorities reportedly asked Marriott to “take down all relevant content, conduct a thorough check on all contents it posted on its website and online application to prevent anything similar, and address the public’s concern in a timely fashion to eliminate a negative impact.”
Tibet is governed by China as an autonomous region and both Hong Kong and Macau are special administrative regions of China. Beijing also considers Taiwan, which has its own democratic elections, to be a breakaway province.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that