Measles Exposure Threat Expands to Chicago O’Hare Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Friday, we learned that a traveler with a confirmed case of measles passed through Newark Airport (EWR) on January 2, 2018 — exposing fellow travelers to the highly contagious disease for up to 11 hours. Now, a strikingly similar case is being reported for Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport (ORD).
On January 10, 2018, a passenger with a confirmed case of measles arrived in O’Hare’s Terminal 5 from an international flight around 6:30am. The passenger departed on a domestic flight out of Terminal 1, but “may have traveled to other areas of the airport” during the layover. The Illinois Department of Health warns that passengers in the airport between 6:30am and 1:00pm “may have been exposed to measles.”
Those who passed through the airport at that time should monitor for symptoms of measles, which could develop as late as three weeks after exposure. That would mean travelers could potentially have symptoms appear as late as January 31, 2018. Measles symptoms include rash, high fever, cough, runny nose and red, watery eyes.
If you show symptoms, the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) recommends you call a health care provider before going to a medical office or emergency department. Special arrangements can be made for your evaluation while also protecting other patients and medical staff from possible infection.
As with the measles exposure from the passenger connecting through Newark, the IDPH isn’t publicly sharing the flights on which the infected passenger traveled. Instead, the department’s statement notes that “local health departments are working to notify Illinois residents who were identified as being potentially exposed on the ill person’s flights.” That said, the only domestic departures from Chicago O’Hare Terminal 1 are operated by United and United Express.
IDPH’s Chief Medical Officer Dr. Jennifer Layden urges everyone to ensure that they’re up to date on their vaccines:
Two doses of measles vaccine are about 97% effective in preventing measles. We urge everyone to make sure they and their family members are up-to-date on measles/mumps/rubella (MMR) vaccine and all other age-appropriate immunizations. Getting vaccinated not only protects you, it protects others around you who are too young to get the vaccine or can’t receive it for medical reasons.
Featured image by Scott Olson / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees