This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just months after devastating fires ravaged California, people in the state are having to evacuate again due to widespread flooding. And, bad weather on the east coast continues to delay and cancel flights. Not even halfway through the day on Tuesday, there have already been almost 1,500 delays and more than 200 flight cancellations so far in the US.
Due to fog in DC, Reagan National (DCA) has seen the worst of the delays and cancellations midday according to FlightAware’s Misery Map. Dallas (DFW/DAL) and Chicago (ORD/MDW) are also experiencing a large number of delays:
Some airlines are allowing free flight changes to allow flexible travelers to avoid these problem areas. However, these continuing weather issues underscores yet again the importance of booking flights with a credit card that offers trip delay and cancellation insurance. After all, airlines aren’t responsible for paying for your meals or hotels in the case of weather-related delays/cancellations.
That’s why you want to cover yourself by booking with cards such as the Citi Prestige ($500 per passenger for 3+ hour delay), the Chase Sapphire Reserve ($500 per ticket for 6+ hour or overnight delay) and Chase Sapphire Preferred ($500 per ticket for 12+ hour or overnight delay).
As of 12pm Eastern, the following airline waivers are available:
- Travel dates: January 8-9
- Airports covered: San Francisco (SFO)
- Must have purchased your ticket by January 8
- Rebook travel anytime between January 8-13
- You can’t change your origin or destination city. Must rebook in same cabin or pay the difference.
- Travel dates: January 8-9
- Airports covered: Baltimore, MD (BWI); Boston, MA (BOS); Hartford, CT ( BDL); Newburgh, NY (SWF); New York – Kennedy, NY (JFK); New York – LaGuardia, NY ( LGA); Newark, NJ ( EWR); Philadelphia, PA (PHL); Providence, RI (PVD); Washington D.C. – Reagan (DCA); Washington D.C. – Dulles (IAD); White Plains, NY (HPN)
- Ticket must be reissued by: January 12
- Rebooked travel must begin no later than: January 12
- When rescheduled travel occurs beyond January 12, the change fee will be waived. However, a difference in fare may apply. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity, one year from date of original issue.
- If travel is not able to be rescheduled within these guidelines, customers may cancel their reservation and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original ticket issuance. Applicable change fee and fare difference will apply for new travel dates.
- Travel date: January 9
- Airports covered: Los Angeles (LAX)
- The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before January 13, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
Featured image by Scott Eisen/Getty Images
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees