This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi Prestige Card
Just months after devastating fires ravaged California, people in the state are having to evacuate again due to widespread flooding. And, bad weather on the east coast continues to delay and cancel flights. Not even halfway through the day on Tuesday, there have already been almost 1,500 delays and more than 200 flight cancellations so far in the US.
Due to fog in DC, Reagan National (DCA) has seen the worst of the delays and cancellations midday according to FlightAware’s Misery Map. Dallas (DFW/DAL) and Chicago (ORD/MDW) are also experiencing a large number of delays:
Some airlines are allowing free flight changes to allow flexible travelers to avoid these problem areas. However, these continuing weather issues underscores yet again the importance of booking flights with a credit card that offers trip delay and cancellation insurance. After all, airlines aren’t responsible for paying for your meals or hotels in the case of weather-related delays/cancellations.
That’s why you want to cover yourself by booking with cards such as the Citi Prestige ($500 per passenger for 3+ hour delay), the Chase Sapphire Reserve ($500 per ticket for 6+ hour or overnight delay) and Chase Sapphire Preferred Card ($500 per ticket for 12+ hour or overnight delay).
As of 12pm Eastern, the following airline waivers are available:
- Travel dates: January 8-9
- Airports covered: San Francisco (SFO)
- Must have purchased your ticket by January 8
- Rebook travel anytime between January 8-13
- You can’t change your origin or destination city. Must rebook in same cabin or pay the difference.
- Travel dates: January 8-9
- Airports covered: Baltimore, MD (BWI); Boston, MA (BOS); Hartford, CT ( BDL); Newburgh, NY (SWF); New York – Kennedy, NY (JFK); New York – LaGuardia, NY ( LGA); Newark, NJ ( EWR); Philadelphia, PA (PHL); Providence, RI (PVD); Washington D.C. – Reagan (DCA); Washington D.C. – Dulles (IAD); White Plains, NY (HPN)
- Ticket must be reissued by: January 12
- Rebooked travel must begin no later than: January 12
- When rescheduled travel occurs beyond January 12, the change fee will be waived. However, a difference in fare may apply. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity, one year from date of original issue.
- If travel is not able to be rescheduled within these guidelines, customers may cancel their reservation and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original ticket issuance. Applicable change fee and fare difference will apply for new travel dates.
- Travel date: January 9
- Airports covered: Los Angeles (LAX)
- The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before January 13, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
Featured image by Scott Eisen/Getty Images
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees