This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For many travelers, flying on a Dreamliner is already a pretty special adventure. But there’s no question that traveling with a couple hundred strangers impacts the experience a bit. There’s at least one way to avoid that, of course, but if you want to guarantee that you’ll always have a 787 at your disposal, the only option is to buy one of your own.
Boeing would be more than happy to sell you one, but with a list price north of $250 million for a 787-9, few can afford to buy directly from the manufacturer. If you can stomach a figure closer to $100,000,000, though, buying second-hand is the way to go. And it just so happens that there’s an almost-brand-new 787-9 on the market — for the right price, you can make it yours.
The plane, currently listed by North Carolina-based Jetcraft Corporation, is available to the highest bidder. The company handling the sale said the owner is looking for an offer in the $150 million range, but given the limited market for VIP 787s, it’s possible they’d accept a lesser sum.
This particular 787-9 is currently based in Basel, Switzerland, and you’ll need to travel there if you’re hoping to check it out before you bid. The plane is almost factory-fresh, though, even though it was delivered nearly three years ago. The interior has yet to be built out — this is what you’ll see once you hop onboard:
It’s not entirely empty, though — you can sleep in the already installed crew rest…
The plane has only logged about 16 hours of flying time — a ferry flight from the factory to its temporary home in Europe — so it’s essentially brand new. Sadly for the owner, just like driving a new car a few feet off the lot, flying the plane even once lands it in the “used” category, which in this case takes tens of millions of dollars off the list price.
While it sounds like the plane is still available as of this writing, it could end up with a new owner at any time. Now’s the time to act if you’re interested in placing a bid.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Up to $200 for Uber rides annually. Credit and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees