This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For many travelers, flying on a Dreamliner is already a pretty special adventure. But there’s no question that traveling with a couple hundred strangers impacts the experience a bit. There’s at least one way to avoid that, of course, but if you want to guarantee that you’ll always have a 787 at your disposal, the only option is to buy one of your own.
Boeing would be more than happy to sell you one, but with a list price north of $250 million for a 787-9, few can afford to buy directly from the manufacturer. If you can stomach a figure closer to $100,000,000, though, buying second-hand is the way to go. And it just so happens that there’s an almost-brand-new 787-9 on the market — for the right price, you can make it yours.
The plane, currently listed by North Carolina-based Jetcraft Corporation, is available to the highest bidder. The company handling the sale said the owner is looking for an offer in the $150 million range, but given the limited market for VIP 787s, it’s possible they’d accept a lesser sum.
This particular 787-9 is currently based in Basel, Switzerland, and you’ll need to travel there if you’re hoping to check it out before you bid. The plane is almost factory-fresh, though, even though it was delivered nearly three years ago. The interior has yet to be built out — this is what you’ll see once you hop onboard:
It’s not entirely empty, though — you can sleep in the already installed crew rest…
The plane has only logged about 16 hours of flying time — a ferry flight from the factory to its temporary home in Europe — so it’s essentially brand new. Sadly for the owner, just like driving a new car a few feet off the lot, flying the plane even once lands it in the “used” category, which in this case takes tens of millions of dollars off the list price.
While it sounds like the plane is still available as of this writing, it could end up with a new owner at any time. Now’s the time to act if you’re interested in placing a bid.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees