This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For many travelers, flying on a Dreamliner is already a pretty special adventure. But there’s no question that traveling with a couple hundred strangers impacts the experience a bit. There’s at least one way to avoid that, of course, but if you want to guarantee that you’ll always have a 787 at your disposal, the only option is to buy one of your own.
Boeing would be more than happy to sell you one, but with a list price north of $250 million for a 787-9, few can afford to buy directly from the manufacturer. If you can stomach a figure closer to $100,000,000, though, buying second-hand is the way to go. And it just so happens that there’s an almost-brand-new 787-9 on the market — for the right price, you can make it yours.
The plane, currently listed by North Carolina-based Jetcraft Corporation, is available to the highest bidder. The company handling the sale said the owner is looking for an offer in the $150 million range, but given the limited market for VIP 787s, it’s possible they’d accept a lesser sum.
This particular 787-9 is currently based in Basel, Switzerland, and you’ll need to travel there if you’re hoping to check it out before you bid. The plane is almost factory-fresh, though, even though it was delivered nearly three years ago. The interior has yet to be built out — this is what you’ll see once you hop onboard:
It’s not entirely empty, though — you can sleep in the already installed crew rest…
The plane has only logged about 16 hours of flying time — a ferry flight from the factory to its temporary home in Europe — so it’s essentially brand new. Sadly for the owner, just like driving a new car a few feet off the lot, flying the plane even once lands it in the “used” category, which in this case takes tens of millions of dollars off the list price.
While it sounds like the plane is still available as of this writing, it could end up with a new owner at any time. Now’s the time to act if you’re interested in placing a bid.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees