Buy a Barely Used 787-9 Dreamliner for a Fraction of the Regular List Price
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For many travelers, flying on a Dreamliner is already a pretty special adventure. But there’s no question that traveling with a couple hundred strangers impacts the experience a bit. There’s at least one way to avoid that, of course, but if you want to guarantee that you’ll always have a 787 at your disposal, the only option is to buy one of your own.
Boeing would be more than happy to sell you one, but with a list price north of $250 million for a 787-9, few can afford to buy directly from the manufacturer. If you can stomach a figure closer to $100,000,000, though, buying second-hand is the way to go. And it just so happens that there’s an almost-brand-new 787-9 on the market — for the right price, you can make it yours.
The plane, currently listed by North Carolina-based Jetcraft Corporation, is available to the highest bidder. The company handling the sale said the owner is looking for an offer in the $150 million range, but given the limited market for VIP 787s, it’s possible they’d accept a lesser sum.
This particular 787-9 is currently based in Basel, Switzerland, and you’ll need to travel there if you’re hoping to check it out before you bid. The plane is almost factory-fresh, though, even though it was delivered nearly three years ago. The interior has yet to be built out — this is what you’ll see once you hop onboard:
It’s not entirely empty, though — you can sleep in the already installed crew rest…
The plane has only logged about 16 hours of flying time — a ferry flight from the factory to its temporary home in Europe — so it’s essentially brand new. Sadly for the owner, just like driving a new car a few feet off the lot, flying the plane even once lands it in the “used” category, which in this case takes tens of millions of dollars off the list price.
While it sounds like the plane is still available as of this writing, it could end up with a new owner at any time. Now’s the time to act if you’re interested in placing a bid.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.