This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For many travelers, flying on a Dreamliner is already a pretty special adventure. But there’s no question that traveling with a couple hundred strangers impacts the experience a bit. There’s at least one way to avoid that, of course, but if you want to guarantee that you’ll always have a 787 at your disposal, the only option is to buy one of your own.
Boeing would be more than happy to sell you one, but with a list price north of $250 million for a 787-9, few can afford to buy directly from the manufacturer. If you can stomach a figure closer to $100,000,000, though, buying second-hand is the way to go. And it just so happens that there’s an almost-brand-new 787-9 on the market — for the right price, you can make it yours.
The plane, currently listed by North Carolina-based Jetcraft Corporation, is available to the highest bidder. The company handling the sale said the owner is looking for an offer in the $150 million range, but given the limited market for VIP 787s, it’s possible they’d accept a lesser sum.
This particular 787-9 is currently based in Basel, Switzerland, and you’ll need to travel there if you’re hoping to check it out before you bid. The plane is almost factory-fresh, though, even though it was delivered nearly three years ago. The interior has yet to be built out — this is what you’ll see once you hop onboard:
It’s not entirely empty, though — you can sleep in the already installed crew rest…
The plane has only logged about 16 hours of flying time — a ferry flight from the factory to its temporary home in Europe — so it’s essentially brand new. Sadly for the owner, just like driving a new car a few feet off the lot, flying the plane even once lands it in the “used” category, which in this case takes tens of millions of dollars off the list price.
While it sounds like the plane is still available as of this writing, it could end up with a new owner at any time. Now’s the time to act if you’re interested in placing a bid.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards