Boeing and Airbus Airplanes Just Got More Expensive
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Prospective Airbus and Boeing customers should expect to pay a bit more for their new aircraft. The world’s two major aircraft manufacturers both announced this month that they’ve increased list prices for 2018.
In a press release, Airbus announced that its list prices have increased across its product line by 2%. On the other hand, Boeing quietly increased its list prices by 4.1% for its commercial airplanes — 2.1% more than its counterpart. Unlike Airbus, Boeing didn’t publicly announce the increase in a press release.
|Product (Boeing vs. Airbus)||2018 Airbus Price||2018 Boeing Price|
|737-700 vs. A319||$92.3 million||$85.8 million|
|737-800 vs. A320||$101 million||$102.2 million|
|737-900ER vs. A321||$118.3 million||$108.4 million|
|737 MAX 7 vs. A319neo||$101.5 million||$96 million|
|737 MAX 8 vs. A320neo||$110.6 million||$117.1 million|
|737 MAX 9 vs. A321neo||$129.5 million||$124.1 million|
|767-300ER vs. A330-200||$238.5 million||$209.8 million|
|787-8 vs. A350-800||$280.6 million||$239 million|
|787-9 vs. A350-900||$317.4 million||$281.6 million|
|787-10 vs. A350-1000||$366.5 million||$325.8 million|
|747-8 vs. A380-800||$445.6 million||$402.9 million|
Note that while the list price for each of the aircraft types is listed above, customers often receive discounts for placing orders in bulk. In addition, there are several other aircraft not listed in the above chart — check the individual list pricing for both Boeing and Airbus on their respective sites. There are some chin scratchers, too — for example, Boeing raised the price on its 767-300ER, but it hasn’t produced one of the aircraft in several years.
Historically, changes to list prices aren’t uncommon. However, Boeing’s 2018 increase is more dramatic compared to years past. In both 2015 and 2016, Boeing kept its list prices unchanged, but in 2017, it raised its list prices 2% across the board.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees