This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We all remember AirBerlin‘s decline and eventual death in 2017, but that doesn’t mean the airline’s memory can’t live on. AvGeeks everywhere now have the chance to bid on pieces of AirBerlin aircraft through German auction house Dechow. You’re able to bid on everything from business class or economy seats to airline-branded flatware.
Those interested in buying a piece of what was Germany’s second-largest airline can do so beginning January 15, 2018, when the auction begins. The online portion of the auction will remain opens for two weeks.
Other items available for bidding include amenity kits filled with hand lotion, chapstick, an eye mask, socks and other small accessories, as well as vanity bags without any contents. There are “kinder-sets” — kits designed for children with a cartoon Air Berlin airplane on the outside, and silverware, dishes and glasses formerly found in business class on the inside. If you’re looking for a bar cart for your home, you can even bid on the classic red and white drink trolleys. And, yes, you can even bid on those German chocolates pictured above.
Air Berlin originally declared bankruptcy in August 2017, and with it, announced a dramatic reduction in flights. After it was denied additional funding from Etihad Airways, who was part-owner of Air Berlin, the airline ceased operations completely in October 2017 after 39 years of service.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees