This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We all remember AirBerlin‘s decline and eventual death in 2017, but that doesn’t mean the airline’s memory can’t live on. AvGeeks everywhere now have the chance to bid on pieces of AirBerlin aircraft through German auction house Dechow. You’re able to bid on everything from business class or economy seats to airline-branded flatware.
Those interested in buying a piece of what was Germany’s second-largest airline can do so beginning January 15, 2018, when the auction begins. The online portion of the auction will remain opens for two weeks.
Other items available for bidding include amenity kits filled with hand lotion, chapstick, an eye mask, socks and other small accessories, as well as vanity bags without any contents. There are “kinder-sets” — kits designed for children with a cartoon Air Berlin airplane on the outside, and silverware, dishes and glasses formerly found in business class on the inside. If you’re looking for a bar cart for your home, you can even bid on the classic red and white drink trolleys. And, yes, you can even bid on those German chocolates pictured above.
Air Berlin originally declared bankruptcy in August 2017, and with it, announced a dramatic reduction in flights. After it was denied additional funding from Etihad Airways, who was part-owner of Air Berlin, the airline ceased operations completely in October 2017 after 39 years of service.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards