This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We all remember AirBerlin‘s decline and eventual death in 2017, but that doesn’t mean the airline’s memory can’t live on. AvGeeks everywhere now have the chance to bid on pieces of AirBerlin aircraft through German auction house Dechow. You’re able to bid on everything from business class or economy seats to airline-branded flatware.
Those interested in buying a piece of what was Germany’s second-largest airline can do so beginning January 15, 2018, when the auction begins. The online portion of the auction will remain opens for two weeks.
Other items available for bidding include amenity kits filled with hand lotion, chapstick, an eye mask, socks and other small accessories, as well as vanity bags without any contents. There are “kinder-sets” — kits designed for children with a cartoon Air Berlin airplane on the outside, and silverware, dishes and glasses formerly found in business class on the inside. If you’re looking for a bar cart for your home, you can even bid on the classic red and white drink trolleys. And, yes, you can even bid on those German chocolates pictured above.
Air Berlin originally declared bankruptcy in August 2017, and with it, announced a dramatic reduction in flights. After it was denied additional funding from Etihad Airways, who was part-owner of Air Berlin, the airline ceased operations completely in October 2017 after 39 years of service.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Up to $200 for Uber rides annually. Credit and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees