Pieces of Air Berlin Aircraft Are Being Auctioned Off This Month
We all remember AirBerlin‘s decline and eventual death in 2017, but that doesn’t mean the airline’s memory can’t live on. AvGeeks everywhere now have the chance to bid on pieces of AirBerlin aircraft through German auction house Dechow. You’re able to bid on everything from business class or economy seats to airline-branded flatware.
Those interested in buying a piece of what was Germany’s second-largest airline can do so beginning January 15, 2018, when the auction begins. The online portion of the auction will remain opens for two weeks.
Other items available for bidding include amenity kits filled with hand lotion, chapstick, an eye mask, socks and other small accessories, as well as vanity bags without any contents. There are “kinder-sets” — kits designed for children with a cartoon Air Berlin airplane on the outside, and silverware, dishes and glasses formerly found in business class on the inside. If you’re looking for a bar cart for your home, you can even bid on the classic red and white drink trolleys. And, yes, you can even bid on those German chocolates pictured above.
Air Berlin originally declared bankruptcy in August 2017, and with it, announced a dramatic reduction in flights. After it was denied additional funding from Etihad Airways, who was part-owner of Air Berlin, the airline ceased operations completely in October 2017 after 39 years of service.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.