Azores Airlines Launches New A321neo Transatlantic Service
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Azores Airlines is making a significant upgrade to its fleet. Beginning Thursday, the airline is operating its first-ever nonstop transatlantic service with an Airbus A321neo, transporting passengers between Boston (BOS) and Ponta Delgada, Azores (PDL).
In December 2017, Azores Airlines took delivery of a new A321neo, becoming the first Portuguese operator of the aircraft. Once all deliveries are complete, the airline will operate six leased A321neos. The A321neos will replace aging A310s that the carrier currently flies on the BOS-PDL route.
Azores‘ A321neo carries up to 186 passengers in two classes. There are 16 business-class seats, which are standard recliners — similar to what you’d find in domestic first class. The BOS-PDL leg is less than five hours of flying time, which isn’t terrible, although there’s no lie-flat business-class product.
Still, the A321neo represents an upgrade, and one that’s affordable (for now). You can find one-way fares in economy for $222, or $481 round-trip. Business class is a bit more pricy (expect to pay $747 one-way or upward of $1,500 round-trip). Plus, by traveling with the carrier, you can continue your trip on to Portugal — the carrier flies nonstop from PDL to Lisbon (LIS) and Porto (OPO).
In addition to the new fleet of A321neo aircraft — which will also operate on the airline’s high frequency network to Portugal and Western Europe — Azores Airlines also operates A310, A320 and A330 aircraft.
Featured image courtesy Airbus / C.Brinkmann.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.