This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Azores Airlines is making a significant upgrade to its fleet. Beginning Thursday, the airline is operating its first-ever nonstop transatlantic service with an Airbus A321neo, transporting passengers between Boston (BOS) and Ponta Delgada, Azores (PDL).
In December 2017, Azores Airlines took delivery of a new A321neo, becoming the first Portuguese operator of the aircraft. Once all deliveries are complete, the airline will operate six leased A321neos. The A321neos will replace aging A310s that the carrier currently flies on the BOS-PDL route.
Azores‘ A321neo carries up to 186 passengers in two classes. There are 16 business-class seats, which are standard recliners — similar to what you’d find in domestic first class. The BOS-PDL leg is less than five hours of flying time, which isn’t terrible, although there’s no lie-flat business-class product.
Still, the A321neo represents an upgrade, and one that’s affordable (for now). You can find one-way fares in economy for $222, or $481 round-trip. Business class is a bit more pricy (expect to pay $747 one-way or upward of $1,500 round-trip). Plus, by traveling with the carrier, you can continue your trip on to Portugal — the carrier flies nonstop from PDL to Lisbon (LIS) and Porto (OPO).
In addition to the new fleet of A321neo aircraft — which will also operate on the airline’s high frequency network to Portugal and Western Europe — Azores Airlines also operates A310, A320 and A330 aircraft.
Featured image courtesy Airbus / C.Brinkmann.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees