Azores Airlines Launches New A321neo Transatlantic Service
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Azores Airlines is making a significant upgrade to its fleet. Beginning Thursday, the airline is operating its first-ever nonstop transatlantic service with an Airbus A321neo, transporting passengers between Boston (BOS) and Ponta Delgada, Azores (PDL).
In December 2017, Azores Airlines took delivery of a new A321neo, becoming the first Portuguese operator of the aircraft. Once all deliveries are complete, the airline will operate six leased A321neos. The A321neos will replace aging A310s that the carrier currently flies on the BOS-PDL route.
Azores‘ A321neo carries up to 186 passengers in two classes. There are 16 business-class seats, which are standard recliners — similar to what you’d find in domestic first class. The BOS-PDL leg is less than five hours of flying time, which isn’t terrible, although there’s no lie-flat business-class product.
Still, the A321neo represents an upgrade, and one that’s affordable (for now). You can find one-way fares in economy for $222, or $481 round-trip. Business class is a bit more pricy (expect to pay $747 one-way or upward of $1,500 round-trip). Plus, by traveling with the carrier, you can continue your trip on to Portugal — the carrier flies nonstop from PDL to Lisbon (LIS) and Porto (OPO).
In addition to the new fleet of A321neo aircraft — which will also operate on the airline’s high frequency network to Portugal and Western Europe — Azores Airlines also operates A310, A320 and A330 aircraft.
Featured image courtesy Airbus / C.Brinkmann.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.