Alaska Airlines Flight Canceled After Rat Jumps on the Plane
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An Alaska Airlines flight was canceled after a rat jumped from the jetway onto the aircraft. As passengers began boarding Alaska Flight 915 from Oakland (OAK) to Portland (PDX) on Tuesday, everything seemed normal. However, the aircraft would end up never leaving the ground.
As boarding was underway, a rat was spotted jumping from the jetway onto the aircraft and later spotted again in the cockpit. Boarding was halted, and passengers who were already on board were deplaned. As a result, the flight was canceled and the Boeing 737-700 was removed from service.
According to Alaska, most of the 110 passengers who were ticketed on Flight 915 were rebooked on later flights to PDX.
And, as for the aircraft, it’s still out of service. “It will be returned to operations once it’s certified rodent-free by a professional exterminator,” Alaska Airlines said to Mercury News. “The aircraft will also be thoroughly inspected to ensure no damage has been done.”
This isn’t the first time there’s been a rodent spotted on an aircraft. In March 2017, a British Airways flight was delayed when a mouse was spotted on a Boeing 777. Additionally, there have been several instances of rodent sightings on Air India flights.
Featured image from Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees