This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An Alaska Airlines flight was canceled after a rat jumped from the jetway onto the aircraft. As passengers began boarding Alaska Flight 915 from Oakland (OAK) to Portland (PDX) on Tuesday, everything seemed normal. However, the aircraft would end up never leaving the ground.
As boarding was underway, a rat was spotted jumping from the jetway onto the aircraft and later spotted again in the cockpit. Boarding was halted, and passengers who were already on board were deplaned. As a result, the flight was canceled and the Boeing 737-700 was removed from service.
According to Alaska, most of the 110 passengers who were ticketed on Flight 915 were rebooked on later flights to PDX.
And, as for the aircraft, it’s still out of service. “It will be returned to operations once it’s certified rodent-free by a professional exterminator,” Alaska Airlines said to Mercury News. “The aircraft will also be thoroughly inspected to ensure no damage has been done.”
This isn’t the first time there’s been a rodent spotted on an aircraft. In March 2017, a British Airways flight was delayed when a mouse was spotted on a Boeing 777. Additionally, there have been several instances of rodent sightings on Air India flights.
Featured image from Wikimedia Commons.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees