This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An Alaska Airlines flight was canceled after a rat jumped from the jetway onto the aircraft. As passengers began boarding Alaska Flight 915 from Oakland (OAK) to Portland (PDX) on Tuesday, everything seemed normal. However, the aircraft would end up never leaving the ground.
As boarding was underway, a rat was spotted jumping from the jetway onto the aircraft and later spotted again in the cockpit. Boarding was halted, and passengers who were already on board were deplaned. As a result, the flight was canceled and the Boeing 737-700 was removed from service.
According to Alaska, most of the 110 passengers who were ticketed on Flight 915 were rebooked on later flights to PDX.
And, as for the aircraft, it’s still out of service. “It will be returned to operations once it’s certified rodent-free by a professional exterminator,” Alaska Airlines said to Mercury News. “The aircraft will also be thoroughly inspected to ensure no damage has been done.”
This isn’t the first time there’s been a rodent spotted on an aircraft. In March 2017, a British Airways flight was delayed when a mouse was spotted on a Boeing 777. Additionally, there have been several instances of rodent sightings on Air India flights.
Featured image from Wikimedia Commons.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards