Alaska Airlines Flight Canceled After Rat Jumps on the Plane
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An Alaska Airlines flight was canceled after a rat jumped from the jetway onto the aircraft. As passengers began boarding Alaska Flight 915 from Oakland (OAK) to Portland (PDX) on Tuesday, everything seemed normal. However, the aircraft would end up never leaving the ground.
As boarding was underway, a rat was spotted jumping from the jetway onto the aircraft and later spotted again in the cockpit. Boarding was halted, and passengers who were already on board were deplaned. As a result, the flight was canceled and the Boeing 737-700 was removed from service.
According to Alaska, most of the 110 passengers who were ticketed on Flight 915 were rebooked on later flights to PDX.
And, as for the aircraft, it’s still out of service. “It will be returned to operations once it’s certified rodent-free by a professional exterminator,” Alaska Airlines said to Mercury News. “The aircraft will also be thoroughly inspected to ensure no damage has been done.”
This isn’t the first time there’s been a rodent spotted on an aircraft. In March 2017, a British Airways flight was delayed when a mouse was spotted on a Boeing 777. Additionally, there have been several instances of rodent sightings on Air India flights.
Featured image from Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.