Win a Chance to Stay on a Deepwater Exploration Vessel, Now Listed on Airbnb
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airbnb has teamed up with BBC to give three contestants a chance to win a stay onboard the Alucia, the vessel that was used to capture the groundbreaking underwater scenes featured in Planet Earth: Blue Planet II. The three winners will have the opportunity to travel 1,000 meters below Earth to see firsthand an ocean community that most people can only see from a screen.
The selected winners will spend three days and two nights onboard the Alucia — owned and operated by ocean exploration pioneer OceanX — in the Bahamas, the same ship that marine biologists, scientists and filmmakers used to create the documentary. The Alucia has been used for some of the most groundbreaking research and filmmaking, including the first-ever footage of the giant squid and deep sea dives in Antarctica (see more in the video, below).
The news comes after the US simulcast premiere of Planet Earth: Blue Planet II and hopes to inspire and educate the public about ocean exploration and conservation. Winners will be hosted by Orla Doherty, the documentary producer who will share untold stories of aquatic adventures and little-known facts about marine life.
“Having spent 500 hours in the submarine and countless weeks at sea filming the deep sea for Blue Planet II, the Alucia almost feels like my second home,” Doherty said in a press release. “I now feel privileged to be able to share this once in a lifetime experience with promising ocean heroes and show them the wonders of life in the ocean.”
To enter the contest, describe your dream adventure and complete the entry by February 10, 2018 at 12pm GMT. The three winners will be chosen by a panel of judges and each winner will be able to take one guest with them. The expedition will last from April 4-8, 2018 and includes economy airfare from the winner’s hometown to Nassau, Bahamas — plus meals, ground transportation and entertainment. Winners will spend two nights onboard the Alucia and two nights in an Airbnb home before and after the underwater excursion.
Images courtesy of Airbnb
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.