This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers on board an American Airlines commuter flight, operated by Mesa Airlines, went through an experience normally only seen in the movies.
AA Flight 5957, operated by a Mesa CRJ-700, was traveling from Phoenix (PHX) to Dallas (DFW) on Wednesday. As the flight was preparing for landing, passengers were told by flight crew that they would need to “brace for landing.” Passenger Steve Ramsthel recorded the flight attendant’s eerie announcement, as well as the landing when passengers were braced. The aircraft ultimately landed safely at DFW.
Ramsthel told KNXV that he could smell smoke on the plane. As evidenced in the video, Ramsthel also said that the flight crew handled the situation very professionally and in a calm manner.
American released a statement, saying, “A flight made an emergency landing on January 17 due to mechanical issues stemming from a broken fan. There were no reported injuries.”
According to AA, the CRJ-700 has been inspected and is now back in service.
Featured image by Wikimedia Commons.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards