Fire Kills 13 Monkeys at Safari Park in England
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Tuesday morning, a fire broke out at the African Forest section of the Woburn Safari Park, 50 miles north of London, killing 13 patas monkeys. This is the second major fire at an animal park in England in two weeks that resulted in the death of animals.
Officials said that the fire was discovered during a routine patrol of the grounds. In a statement to the media, a park spokesperson said that nothing could be done to prevent the death of the monkeys.
“Staff and fire crews attended the scene; however, devastatingly for everyone at the park, none of the 13 animals could be saved,” the park official said. By the time fire crews made it to the park, the roof had already collapsed in with 90% of the structure damaged.
The fire took over two hours to control and only the patas enclosure was affected; all other animals in the jungle drive-through section of the park were unharmed, according to the statement. A spokesperson also indicated that a generator fault may have caused the fire.
During the winter, the patas are housed in the enclosure due to cold temperatures. During the summer they are free roam the 16-acre exhibit, according to the Woburn Park website. The park remained open Tuesday morning with the African Forest drive-through enclosure closed off to visitors.
On December 23, a fire broke out in the London Zoo killing an aardvark and four meerkats. The cause of the fire, which caused additional damage to the zoo café, has still not been determined. Investigators will continue to determine the causes of the fires at both the London Zoo as well as at Woburn Park.
H/T: BBC News
Featured and inline images by John Stillwell/PA Images via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.