Fire Kills 13 Monkeys at Safari Park in England
On Tuesday morning, a fire broke out at the African Forest section of the Woburn Safari Park, 50 miles north of London, killing 13 patas monkeys. This is the second major fire at an animal park in England in two weeks that resulted in the death of animals.
Officials said that the fire was discovered during a routine patrol of the grounds. In a statement to the media, a park spokesperson said that nothing could be done to prevent the death of the monkeys.
“Staff and fire crews attended the scene; however, devastatingly for everyone at the park, none of the 13 animals could be saved,” the park official said. By the time fire crews made it to the park, the roof had already collapsed in with 90% of the structure damaged.
The fire took over two hours to control and only the patas enclosure was affected; all other animals in the jungle drive-through section of the park were unharmed, according to the statement. A spokesperson also indicated that a generator fault may have caused the fire.
During the winter, the patas are housed in the enclosure due to cold temperatures. During the summer they are free roam the 16-acre exhibit, according to the Woburn Park website. The park remained open Tuesday morning with the African Forest drive-through enclosure closed off to visitors.
On December 23, a fire broke out in the London Zoo killing an aardvark and four meerkats. The cause of the fire, which caused additional damage to the zoo café, has still not been determined. Investigators will continue to determine the causes of the fires at both the London Zoo as well as at Woburn Park.
H/T: BBC News
Featured and inline images by John Stillwell/PA Images via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees