Winter Storm Causing 700+ Flight Delays in Denver, Impacting Christmas Travel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Winter storm “Dylan” — a name that the National Weather Service will not acknowledge — is wreaking havoc on flights around the Rockies. Meanwhile, Winter Storm Warnings have been issued for the Northeast.
As of 5:15pm Mountain Time on Thursday, FlightAware’s delay and cancellation tracker counted 698 delays — but just 9 cancellations — of Denver (DEN) flights. FlightAware’s Misery Map shows nearly half of current flights are delayed, with flights between DEN and Atlanta (ATL), Chicago (ORD) and Salt Lake City (SLC) being affected the most:
This storm has already dumped an incredible amount of snow in isolated areas. In Montana’s Glacier National Park, the National Weather Service has recorded up to 40 inches. And snow is forecast to continue to fall in the western US. Here are the places that you can expect a White Christmas:
This same storm is supposed to move eastward into the Central Plains and into the Midwest by Sunday, creating hazardous conditions for those driving home for the holidays.
While that storm is tracking across the US, the Northeast will be dealing with another system. 8-12 inches of snow are forecast for parts of upstate New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and into Maine.
We can expect these storms to continue to cause flight delays and cancellations. However, as of publishing, no airlines have issues weather waivers to allow free flight changes. Stay tuned to The Points Guy for alerts if/when airlines announce these waivers.
Featured image by Cyrus McCrimmon / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.