Winter Storm Causing 700+ Flight Delays in Denver, Impacting Christmas Travel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Winter storm “Dylan” — a name that the National Weather Service will not acknowledge — is wreaking havoc on flights around the Rockies. Meanwhile, Winter Storm Warnings have been issued for the Northeast.
As of 5:15pm Mountain Time on Thursday, FlightAware’s delay and cancellation tracker counted 698 delays — but just 9 cancellations — of Denver (DEN) flights. FlightAware’s Misery Map shows nearly half of current flights are delayed, with flights between DEN and Atlanta (ATL), Chicago (ORD) and Salt Lake City (SLC) being affected the most:
This storm has already dumped an incredible amount of snow in isolated areas. In Montana’s Glacier National Park, the National Weather Service has recorded up to 40 inches. And snow is forecast to continue to fall in the western US. Here are the places that you can expect a White Christmas:
This same storm is supposed to move eastward into the Central Plains and into the Midwest by Sunday, creating hazardous conditions for those driving home for the holidays.
While that storm is tracking across the US, the Northeast will be dealing with another system. 8-12 inches of snow are forecast for parts of upstate New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and into Maine.
We can expect these storms to continue to cause flight delays and cancellations. However, as of publishing, no airlines have issues weather waivers to allow free flight changes. Stay tuned to The Points Guy for alerts if/when airlines announce these waivers.
Featured image by Cyrus McCrimmon / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees