This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – United MileagePlus Explorer Card
This week, United launched a new promotion to targeted MileagePlus members, offering bonus miles for flights through mid-January. To see your “Mile Play” offer, click here and enter your MileagePlus number.
Even if you made the cut to be targeted for this promotion, offers are all over the place. TPG Points and Miles Editor Sarah Silbert got a decent offer of 18,000 bonus miles for booking and taking two trips in United Economy between now and January 12, 2018:
On the other end of the spectrum, TPG Assistant Editor Nick Ellis got a measly offer of 700 bonus miles for booking Economy Plus once between now at January 12, 2018:
In the middle, TPG Assistant Editor Brendan Dorsey got an offer of 7,400 bonus miles for booking and taking two trips in United Economy by January 12, 2018.
Personally, I didn’t get an offer:
Whether you were targeted for this promotion or not, you can still stock up on bonus United miles by opening a new Chase credit card. Currently, the United MileagePlus Explorer Card is offering a 40,000 United miles sign-up offer for spending $2,000 in the first three months after opening the card. Plus, you’ll get perks like a free checked bag, priority boarding (even when booking Basic Economy) and two club passes per year. And there’s no annual fee the first year.
The United MileagePlus Explorer Business Card offers many of the same perks with a 50,000-mile signup bonus for spending $3,000 in the first three months. And forget paying for a United Club membership; you can get a 50,000-mile sign-up bonus plus a United Club membership with the United MileagePlus Club Card.
Were you targeted and — if so — what’s your offer?
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Up to $200 for Uber rides annually. Credit and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees