United Apologizes to Passenger Who Says Seat Was Given to Congresswoman
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines found itself in hot water once again over the holidays when a story emerged about a passenger who claimed that her first-class seat was given away to Houston congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee. The incident occurred on December 18 and a week later, United said that the passenger, Jean-Marie Simon, had cancelled her ticket after a weather delay, a claim that Simon denies.
Ms. Simon said that the airline denied her request for a $500 travel voucher and a free meal. Instead, United offered her a $300 voucher and an economy-plus seat for her flight home to Washington, DC — while Congresswoman Jackson Lee was sitting in her original seat, 1A. According to NBC News, the airline has since apologized to Ms. Simon and has offered her the $500 voucher that she’d originally asked for.
As for Rep. Lee, the congresswoman said in a statement that she didn’t ask for anything “exceptional or out of the ordinary.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.