TPG Readers Offer Their 2018 Credit Card Perk Wish List
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
With a new year comes the hope and promise that exciting changes await, and it’s almost a certainty that in 2018 we’ll see new credit card features brought to the market as banks continue to battle it out in a never-ending competition for customers. But while there will undoubtedly be a number of new credit card benefits introduced over the next year, what new perks would we most want to see in 2018?
That’s the question we posed to members of the TPG Lounge on Facebook. While many responses focused on new desired features for two of the primary premium credit cards — the Platinum Card from American Express and the Chase Sapphire Reserve — there were plenty of suggestions for other cards as well. (Some comments have been lightly edited for clarification.)
“Would love a dining/restaurant bonus category on the Platinum. Would also be nice if they updated some of the other benefits to include trip cancellation, etc like the CSR [Chase Sapphire Reserve] and Prestige.” — Shea D.
“If you are going to give a $200 Uber credit let it be used like a travel credit, all at once if you want. This $15 a month idea is so lame for those of us with cars, which is most people, and we maybe will use Uber once a year on a vacation.” — Steven M.
“Change Amex Plat airline credit to be more like CSR’s! I never have incidental fees and can’t use the credit as it is.” — David A.
“Allow the Amex airline credit to be used on any airline instead of just one declared airline.” — Jon L.
“Would love to see a fat 40% or 50% transfer bonus to a major domestic carrier with Amex Platinum again. It’s been awhile…” — Tom P.
Chase Sapphire Reserve
“Some status with the CSR. Even my free Hilton Amex gives me Silver (which isn’t that great) but CSR doesn’t give any kind of status with anything.” — Hamza E.
“Higher sign up bonus on CSR for us idiots that missed the boat a year ago. Even 70k would be better than 50k ” — Shelby D.
“Ability to use UR points with Delta transfers.” — Kristy R.
“Maybe Chase and other stingy lenders can be more lenient on getting more than 5/24 especially if you are actually renewing cards/paying the annual fees. I understand they want to minimize card churners but some people legit have intentions of keeping the products that actually provide value!” — Sean D.
Other Card Perks
“I’d like to see a 3rd night free option versus a 4th night free. I go mostly on ‘long’ weekend vacations.” — Cristina B.
“Free parking on my hotel cards!” — Scott M.
“CLEAR membership!” — Brett A.
“Personally, I’d love to see some higher bonus categories on airline credit cards. 2x on airfare just doesn’t cut it when super premiums are offering 3x and 5x the points with better redemptions. While I’d normally just use my CSR for everything, I’m trying to boost my AAdvantage miles a little bit for a redemption.” — Cameron L.
“Any card that gives you a ‘travel credit’ letting you use gas in that category. Every time I put gas in my car I travel, maybe across the country or to work, but it’s still travel.” — Steven M.
“Free massage after flights booked on Spirit, Frontier, or Allegiant.” — Seth L.
“500 bonus miles for every flight during which I must listen to a pitch for a credit card.” — Michael M.
It’s clear that when it comes to credit cards, everyone has their personal priorities and preferences. But let’s hope that the banks and credit card issuers are paying attention to at least some of these suggestions when they consider what new features they’ll be adding to their products in 2018. After all, the best companies listen to their customers, and in this case, credit card customers are speaking up loud and clear.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 75,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,500
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber savings annually (only for use in the U.S.)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties. Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees