TPG Readers Offer Their 2018 Credit Card Perk Wish List
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
With a new year comes the hope and promise that exciting changes await, and it’s almost a certainty that in 2018 we’ll see new credit card features brought to the market as banks continue to battle it out in a never-ending competition for customers. But while there will undoubtedly be a number of new credit card benefits introduced over the next year, what new perks would we most want to see in 2018?
That’s the question we posed to members of the TPG Lounge on Facebook. While many responses focused on new desired features for two of the primary premium credit cards — the Platinum Card from American Express and the Chase Sapphire Reserve — there were plenty of suggestions for other cards as well. (Some comments have been lightly edited for clarification.)
“Would love a dining/restaurant bonus category on the Platinum. Would also be nice if they updated some of the other benefits to include trip cancellation, etc like the CSR [Chase Sapphire Reserve] and Prestige.” — Shea D.
“If you are going to give a $200 Uber credit let it be used like a travel credit, all at once if you want. This $15 a month idea is so lame for those of us with cars, which is most people, and we maybe will use Uber once a year on a vacation.” — Steven M.
“Change Amex Plat airline credit to be more like CSR’s! I never have incidental fees and can’t use the credit as it is.” — David A.
“Allow the Amex airline credit to be used on any airline instead of just one declared airline.” — Jon L.
“Would love to see a fat 40% or 50% transfer bonus to a major domestic carrier with Amex Platinum again. It’s been awhile…” — Tom P.
Chase Sapphire Reserve
“Some status with the CSR. Even my free Hilton Amex gives me Silver (which isn’t that great) but CSR doesn’t give any kind of status with anything.” — Hamza E.
“Higher sign up bonus on CSR for us idiots that missed the boat a year ago. Even 70k would be better than 50k ” — Shelby D.
“Ability to use UR points with Delta transfers.” — Kristy R.
“Maybe Chase and other stingy lenders can be more lenient on getting more than 5/24 especially if you are actually renewing cards/paying the annual fees. I understand they want to minimize card churners but some people legit have intentions of keeping the products that actually provide value!” — Sean D.
Other Card Perks
“I’d like to see a 3rd night free option versus a 4th night free. I go mostly on ‘long’ weekend vacations.” — Cristina B.
“Free parking on my hotel cards!” — Scott M.
“CLEAR membership!” — Brett A.
“Personally, I’d love to see some higher bonus categories on airline credit cards. 2x on airfare just doesn’t cut it when super premiums are offering 3x and 5x the points with better redemptions. While I’d normally just use my CSR for everything, I’m trying to boost my AAdvantage miles a little bit for a redemption.” — Cameron L.
“Any card that gives you a ‘travel credit’ letting you use gas in that category. Every time I put gas in my car I travel, maybe across the country or to work, but it’s still travel.” — Steven M.
“Free massage after flights booked on Spirit, Frontier, or Allegiant.” — Seth L.
“500 bonus miles for every flight during which I must listen to a pitch for a credit card.” — Michael M.
It’s clear that when it comes to credit cards, everyone has their personal priorities and preferences. But let’s hope that the banks and credit card issuers are paying attention to at least some of these suggestions when they consider what new features they’ll be adding to their products in 2018. After all, the best companies listen to their customers, and in this case, credit card customers are speaking up loud and clear.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax.
- American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one select qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships when you pay with your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees