This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here: Citi Double Cash Card
Did the price on an item you just purchased drop? You’re still in luck if you bought the gift using a credit card that offers price protection. This feature gives you a chance to regain the price difference if an item’s price drops shortly after a purchase is made. Here’s how to save with price protection this holiday season.
Use the Right Card
Many premium credit cards feature price protection — and some no annual fee cards, such as one of our favorite cash-back options, the Citi Double Cash Card, offer the perk. Check the benefits guides for your cards to determine which offer it and what types of purchases are covered. Make sure to save an itemized receipt.
Within a particular time period — dependent on the card’s terms and conditions — you’ll need to find a merchant selling the exact item you purchased at a lower price. A picture taken in store or a screenshot online is usually adequate, but check the claim form to make sure you have what’s needed.
The time period for filing claims varies greatly across cards. In addition, the process by which you should file a claim varies from issuer to issuer. Check your card benefits guide to ensure you don’t miss out.
If tracking prices and submitting claims seem like too much hassle, Earny can handle it for you. Earny is an application that scans your email to find purchases from a selection of vendors, searches for lower prices and submits price protection claims on your behalf when lower prices are found.
Featured image by Tetra Images / Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees