This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here: Citi Double Cash Card
Did the price on an item you just purchased drop? You’re still in luck if you bought the gift using a credit card that offers price protection. This feature gives you a chance to regain the price difference if an item’s price drops shortly after a purchase is made. Here’s how to save with price protection this holiday season.
Use the Right Card
Many premium credit cards feature price protection — and some no annual fee cards, such as one of our favorite cash-back options, the Citi Double Cash Card, offer the perk. Check the benefits guides for your cards to determine which offer it and what types of purchases are covered. Make sure to save an itemized receipt.
Within a particular time period — dependent on the card’s terms and conditions — you’ll need to find a merchant selling the exact item you purchased at a lower price. A picture taken in store or a screenshot online is usually adequate, but check the claim form to make sure you have what’s needed.
The time period for filing claims varies greatly across cards. In addition, the process by which you should file a claim varies from issuer to issuer. Check your card benefits guide to ensure you don’t miss out.
If tracking prices and submitting claims seem like too much hassle, Earny can handle it for you. Earny is an application that scans your email to find purchases from a selection of vendors, searches for lower prices and submits price protection claims on your behalf when lower prices are found.
Featured image by Tetra Images / Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards