Winter Storm to Hamper Travel Across the Midwest on Christmas Eve
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One winter storm will sweep across the Midwest on Christmas Eve and into the Northeast on Christmas Day. Meanwhile, another winter storm will begin its trek across the US starting in Oregon and Washington. These storms will provide a White Christmas to many in the northern US — and unfortunately they also may amper travel across the region on a critical travel day before Christmas. That is all happening while a record 107.3 million Americans are expected to travel between December 23 and January 1, according to AAA.
While we haven’t seen any major delays yet Sunday morning, three large airports are expected to suffer major impacts from the storms: Chicago O’Hare, (ORD), Portland (PDX) and Cleveland (CLE). Lesser impacts are expected at other airports across the Midwest and Northwest:
The forecast calls for the first storm — named Ethan by The Weather Channel — to drop over 12 inches of snow in parts of the Northeast on Christmas Eve and into Christmas Day. Some large cities (Chicago, Indianapolis, Detroit, Cleveland) will get a few inches of snow, while others (Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Washington DC) will avoid the snowfall entirely:
Meanwhile a new storm will start sweeping across Washington and Oregon. Rain, sleet, freezing rain, and/or snow will drop depending on the elevation and prevailing temperature. Portland and Seattle are the two airports most likely to be affected by this storm Christmas Eve.
It’s all going to add up to a large swath of the country waking up on the 25th to a White Christmas — which meteorologists define as having one inch of snow cover on the morning of December 25, whether or not it snows that day:
Featured image by Sean Proctor / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.