Winter Storm to Hamper Travel Across the Midwest on Christmas Eve
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One winter storm will sweep across the Midwest on Christmas Eve and into the Northeast on Christmas Day. Meanwhile, another winter storm will begin its trek across the US starting in Oregon and Washington. These storms will provide a White Christmas to many in the northern US — and unfortunately they also may amper travel across the region on a critical travel day before Christmas. That is all happening while a record 107.3 million Americans are expected to travel between December 23 and January 1, according to AAA.
While we haven’t seen any major delays yet Sunday morning, three large airports are expected to suffer major impacts from the storms: Chicago O’Hare, (ORD), Portland (PDX) and Cleveland (CLE). Lesser impacts are expected at other airports across the Midwest and Northwest:
The forecast calls for the first storm — named Ethan by The Weather Channel — to drop over 12 inches of snow in parts of the Northeast on Christmas Eve and into Christmas Day. Some large cities (Chicago, Indianapolis, Detroit, Cleveland) will get a few inches of snow, while others (Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Washington DC) will avoid the snowfall entirely:
Meanwhile a new storm will start sweeping across Washington and Oregon. Rain, sleet, freezing rain, and/or snow will drop depending on the elevation and prevailing temperature. Portland and Seattle are the two airports most likely to be affected by this storm Christmas Eve.
It’s all going to add up to a large swath of the country waking up on the 25th to a White Christmas — which meteorologists define as having one inch of snow cover on the morning of December 25, whether or not it snows that day:
Featured image by Sean Proctor / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees