Singapore Airport to End Final Boarding Call Announcements
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore’s Changi is widely considered one of the world’s busiest, most efficient and most beautiful airports. Soon, it will be able to add one of the world’s most quiet to to its already impressive resume.
On December 26, we learned that SIN would move to stop making final boarding announcements as well as paging individual passengers over the airport’s loudspeaker. The Changi Airport Group says that the changes will make the airport less noisy and thus more enjoyable for passengers. It will also shift more responsibility to travelers, as they’ll have to be more vigilant about checking important flight information, such as departure time and gate assignment.
In addition, the airport hopes that when it does make important announcements — such as when a passenger has left behind a personal item at security checkpoints — passengers will be more inclined to actually listen to the message instead of brushing it off as just another boarding announcement. Per The Jakarta Post, there’s currently an announcement made in each of SIN’s terminals approximately every five minutes.
This news has clearly resonated with TPG Lounge members, with most applauding the change, and some pointing out that many other airports already have moved away from making so many announcements over the loudspeaker:
Others pointed out that it’s often difficult or even impossible to hear the announcements anyway, so this change won’t change much in reality:
However, some members expressed disappointment in this change, pointing out that it could cause delays on flights where most passengers have boarded, but one or two passengers need to still be tracked down:
Finally, some members just feel nostalgia for the airport announcements; they say that they add to the overall experience at the airport and that hearing about all the flights departing for far-flung destinations is part of what makes traveling so exhilarating:
Regardless of our opinion on the elimination of these announcements, the trend is likely going to spread to more airports, as airline mobile apps are making it easier than ever to get up-to-the-minute information about gate changes, delays, cancellations and more. As technology continues to evolve and improve, the terminal announcements will continue to become less and less relevant.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees