The Future of SPG, Emirates’ New First Class Suite, December Valuations and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
This week, Marriott announced that it had signed deals for co-branded credit cards with both Chase and American Express. Get TPG’s take on what those deals mean not only for your wallet, but the future of the Starwood Preferred Guest program.
TPG Editor-at-Large Zach Honig is no stranger to the world’s top first-class products. But, after he flew Emirates’ new first-class suite during its inaugural flight from Dubai (DXB) to Brussels (BRU), he was blown away — find out why in his full review.
TPG’s monthly valuations for December 2017 are here — find out what your points and miles are worth this month.
With basic economy becoming the new normal in the airline industry, new problems and pain points are arising among passengers — one of the most controversial is BE passengers using the overhead bins, which they aren’t supposed to do. See what TPG readers have to say about this controversial issue.
American Airlines has been scrambling all week to fix its potentially severe pilot shortage it was facing over the holidays. The airline’s been successful in its efforts to remedy the situation — but it hasn’t come cheap.
Here’s the best upgrade you can score as an AA elite — no matter your tier. Read to find out how you, too, can score one of these coveted upgrades.
Delta and low-cost Canadian carrier WestJet announced this week that they have partnered to form a joint venture which will increase the number of options passengers have for travel between the US and Canada.
Here’s a full comparison of airlines that fly shuttle routes in terms of cost, equipment and on-time performance — which carrier is best for you?
Earlier this week, President Trump signed an order that officially recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. The State Department issued a travel advisory for Americans in the region soon after in anticipation of increased unrest and violence.
In other news…
Get 50% Off Some BA Economy Award Flights for a Limited Time
Book by December 17, 2017 to score a 50% discount when you book award tickets on select flights with Avios on British Airways. You must be originating in London and travel between January 4 and June 30, 2018. Note, too, that you’ll still have to pay BA’s exorbitant taxes and surcharges on your award ticket.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.