The Future of SPG, Emirates’ New First Class Suite, December Valuations and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
This week, Marriott announced that it had signed deals for co-branded credit cards with both Chase and American Express. Get TPG’s take on what those deals mean not only for your wallet, but the future of the Starwood Preferred Guest program.
TPG Editor-at-Large Zach Honig is no stranger to the world’s top first-class products. But, after he flew Emirates’ new first-class suite during its inaugural flight from Dubai (DXB) to Brussels (BRU), he was blown away — find out why in his full review.
TPG’s monthly valuations for December 2017 are here — find out what your points and miles are worth this month.
With basic economy becoming the new normal in the airline industry, new problems and pain points are arising among passengers — one of the most controversial is BE passengers using the overhead bins, which they aren’t supposed to do. See what TPG readers have to say about this controversial issue.
American Airlines has been scrambling all week to fix its potentially severe pilot shortage it was facing over the holidays. The airline’s been successful in its efforts to remedy the situation — but it hasn’t come cheap.
Here’s the best upgrade you can score as an AA elite — no matter your tier. Read to find out how you, too, can score one of these coveted upgrades.
Delta and low-cost Canadian carrier WestJet announced this week that they have partnered to form a joint venture which will increase the number of options passengers have for travel between the US and Canada.
Here’s a full comparison of airlines that fly shuttle routes in terms of cost, equipment and on-time performance — which carrier is best for you?
Earlier this week, President Trump signed an order that officially recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. The State Department issued a travel advisory for Americans in the region soon after in anticipation of increased unrest and violence.
In other news…
Get 50% Off Some BA Economy Award Flights for a Limited Time
Book by December 17, 2017 to score a 50% discount when you book award tickets on select flights with Avios on British Airways. You must be originating in London and travel between January 4 and June 30, 2018. Note, too, that you’ll still have to pay BA’s exorbitant taxes and surcharges on your award ticket.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees