Changes to Marriott Rewards and SPG in 2018, Bali Volcano Erupts, AA’s Holiday Crisis and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
While Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest will continue to run independently through 2018, there will be a few minor and mostly positive changes to both programs including the ability for SPG members being able to earn points for Hertz rentals, and never-expiring Starpoints for SPG members with lifetime status.
After Mount Agung erupted last week in Bali, 59,000 passengers were stranded on the resort island after the volcano spewed ash over 30,000 feet in the air and cancelled all flights coming into and out of Denpasar Airport (DPS).
American Airlines, the world’s largest airline, is scrambling to find enough pilots during the upcoming holiday season after a bug in their scheduling system allowed too many pilots to request time off.
LEVEL, a low-cost airline that launched in June 2017, has announced new international flights at amazing prices.
Airbnb unveiled a new feature this week that lets group travelers split the cost of renting an Airbnb, alleviating the financial burden on one person.
TPG Editor-at-Large Zach Honig recently flew business class on Korean Air’s Boeing 747-8 from Honolulu (HNL) to Seoul (ICN). Check out the full review here.
With 2017 coming to a close, we at TPG are already thinking about where we want to go in 2018. Take a look at the top destinations for the new year.
American Airlines is the most recent airline to purchase the new Boeing 737 MAX 8 and while it’s a treat for AvGeeks, passengers might be less-than-pleased at how many people the airline has managed to cram into the aircraft.
In other news…
Joon Announces More Flights
Joon, a subsidiary of Air France targeted at milleninals, announced more short and long-haul flights one day ahead of its inaugural flight on December 1 out of Paris (CDG). The airline added Rome, Naples, Oslo and Istanbul to its route map, with the flights slated to begin in late-March 2018.
FlyingBlue Promo Awards for December Now Bookable
Air France/KLM’s FlyingBlue program has released this month’s promo awards, through which you can score some discounts on award flights within the carrier’s networks. The deal is fairly mediocre, though you should be able to score a 25% discount on business-class awards from New York (JFK) to Paris (ORY).
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees