Santa Barbara Becomes a Ghost Town as Monster Wildfire Moves Closer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Thomas Fire continued to grow Sunday as firefighters battled the strong Santa Ana winds to get control over the massive blaze before it reaches Santa Barbara. Reportedly, the city has become a ghost town from the widespread evacuations.
According to the latest California fire assessment at 8:58am Pacific Time, the monster wildfire has grown to 269,000 acres (420 square miles) and has destroyed 1,020 structures while damaging another 242 structures. Yet despite the efforts of 8,529 firefighters and 972 fire engines, the wildfire is currently only 40% contained.
As the winds push the fire westward, the mandatory (red on the map below) and voluntary (yellow) evacuation orders are expanding across Santa Barbara county. The solid red line shows the current extent of the Thomas Fire:
At 269,000 acres burned, the Thomas Fire is already nearing the top of the largest fires in California state history. Currently, the largest-ever wildfire was 2003’s Cedar Fire which burned 273,246 acres near San Diego. At 40% containment and just 4,246 acres less than the Cedar Fire, it’s likely that the Thomas Fire will become the largest fire in California state history.
Among the many Santa Barbara residents with their homes under threat is actor Rob Lowe. He took to Instagram before evacuating Saturday morning to show his house within striking distance of the flames:
The on-ground firefighters are receiving critical air support from the largest aerial firefighter in the world: the 747 Global SuperTanker.
Considering the proximity of the fire and the massive amount of smoke, the delays and cancellations have been moderate so far for Santa Barbara (SBA) airport, with 10 cancellations Saturday and 6 cancellations as of this writing on Sunday.
To help travelers affected by the fires, American Airlines and United continue to extend their travel waivers for SBA. These waivers allow passengers to change their flights in/out/through SBA at no additional cost.
- Travel dates: December 12-18.
- Airport covered: Santa Barbara (SBA)
- Must have purchased your ticket by December 16.
- Rebook travel anytime between December 12-22.
- You can’t change your origin or destination city. Must rebook in same class or pay the difference.
- Travel dates: December 17-18
- Airport covered: Santa Barbara (SBA)
- The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before [December] 22, 2017, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
Featured image by Mike Eliason of the Santa Barbara County Fire Department posted on Twitter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees