This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With the wildfires raging throughout Southern California, residents and tourists alike are trying to escape the flames and find refuge in safer areas. While firefighters battle the blazes, companies are stepping up to help those affected by the disaster, including Lyft, which is offering free rides to wildfire evacuees.
Authorities have had to shut down entire freeways, including Highways 101 and 405, both of which connect many important cities, as flames approached Hollywood Burbank Airport (BUR) and LAX. The highways have since been reopened.
Lyft said it its offering free rides up to $40 for wildfire evacuees — taking those affected any evacuation center in the area. Riders need to enter the code: LASAFERIDES in the Lyft app to unlock the discounted trips.
According to KABC, Lyft drivers will take residents to the following evacuation centers:
- Ventura County Fairgrounds
- Nordhoff High School
- Oxnard College Gymnasium
- Santa Paula Community Center
- Fillmore Veterans Memorial
- Santa Barbara Multi Activity Center
- Balboa Recreation Center
- Van Nuys Recreation Center
- Delano Park
- Cheviot Hills Recreation Center
Evacuation centers may be added to the list as the situation evolves.
Featured image by Mark Ralston/Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Up to $200 for Uber rides annually. Credit and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees