Lyft Expands Services to Its First International City
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Lyft is expanding its ride-share services internationally. As the company announced on Wednesday, Lyft is now up and running in the Toronto metropolitan area. Previously, the ride-share service was only available in US cities within all 50 states.
As reflected on in the Cities tab on its website, Lyft is now available in Ontario, Canada. More specifically, it’s available in Ajax, Brampton, Hamilton, Mississauga, Newmarket, Oshawa, Richmond Hill and Toronto.
For those looking to use Lyft in Toronto, open your app and request a ride as you would in any other Lyft city. On a sample search, there appears to be plenty of Lyft drivers available for-hire in Old Toronto and in surrounding neighborhoods.
In Toronto, Lyft offers passengers regular Lyft rides, Lyft Plus, Premier, Lux and Lux SUV options.
Adding a city outside the US to its portfolio is a big step for Lyft. Its direct competitor Uber is available in many markets worldwide, including Toronto. In 2017 especially, Uber’s reputation has taken a beating after several scandals, such as covering up the hacking of users’ personal information and its co-founder and former CEO Travis Kalanick stepping down. With Lyft’s expansion into the Canadian market, travelers have more options for where to spend their transportation dollars and could potentially pressure Uber into increasing its services.
Featured image by Kelly Sullivan / Get
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.