Lyft Expands Services to Its First International City
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Lyft is expanding its ride-share services internationally. As the company announced on Wednesday, Lyft is now up and running in the Toronto metropolitan area. Previously, the ride-share service was only available in US cities within all 50 states.
As reflected on in the Cities tab on its website, Lyft is now available in Ontario, Canada. More specifically, it’s available in Ajax, Brampton, Hamilton, Mississauga, Newmarket, Oshawa, Richmond Hill and Toronto.
For those looking to use Lyft in Toronto, open your app and request a ride as you would in any other Lyft city. On a sample search, there appears to be plenty of Lyft drivers available for-hire in Old Toronto and in surrounding neighborhoods.
In Toronto, Lyft offers passengers regular Lyft rides, Lyft Plus, Premier, Lux and Lux SUV options.
Adding a city outside the US to its portfolio is a big step for Lyft. Its direct competitor Uber is available in many markets worldwide, including Toronto. In 2017 especially, Uber’s reputation has taken a beating after several scandals, such as covering up the hacking of users’ personal information and its co-founder and former CEO Travis Kalanick stepping down. With Lyft’s expansion into the Canadian market, travelers have more options for where to spend their transportation dollars and could potentially pressure Uber into increasing its services.
Featured image by Kelly Sullivan / Get
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees