This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s been a crazy week for Southern California residents, and even those of us just passing through. Wildfires not far from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) have caused thousands of locals to flee their homes while wreaking havoc on large areas of the city.
Closed freeways and soot-covered lawns are minor nuisances compared to the devastation experienced by people who have lost their homes, but the situation has had everyone on edge over the past few days. On Wednesday, smoke was clearly visible from my airport hotel, where I was for a photo shoot before I make my way to London tonight.
By the time my afternoon aerial photo session came around, the airport was covered in a layer of smoke.
Still, with risk of fire spreading overnight, authorities even issued a rare emergency notification to everyone in the area Wednesday evening — our phones went crazy as I visiting family just north of the airport:
As for this morning, so far it’s just a regular day at LAX, albeit one with far less clear skies than usual above the field. Either way, we’re all hoping the situation is under control soon.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards