This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s been a crazy week for Southern California residents, and even those of us just passing through. Wildfires not far from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) have caused thousands of locals to flee their homes while wreaking havoc on large areas of the city.
Closed freeways and soot-covered lawns are minor nuisances compared to the devastation experienced by people who have lost their homes, but the situation has had everyone on edge over the past few days. On Wednesday, smoke was clearly visible from my airport hotel, where I was for a photo shoot before I make my way to London tonight.
By the time my afternoon aerial photo session came around, the airport was covered in a layer of smoke.
Still, with risk of fire spreading overnight, authorities even issued a rare emergency notification to everyone in the area Wednesday evening — our phones went crazy as I visiting family just north of the airport:
As for this morning, so far it’s just a regular day at LAX, albeit one with far less clear skies than usual above the field. Either way, we’re all hoping the situation is under control soon.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees