Here’s What Los Angeles International Airport Looks Like Covered in Smoke From the Fires
It’s been a crazy week for Southern California residents, and even those of us just passing through. Wildfires not far from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) have caused thousands of locals to flee their homes while wreaking havoc on large areas of the city.
Closed freeways and soot-covered lawns are minor nuisances compared to the devastation experienced by people who have lost their homes, but the situation has had everyone on edge over the past few days. On Wednesday, smoke was clearly visible from my airport hotel, where I was for a photo shoot before I make my way to London tonight.
By the time my afternoon aerial photo session came around, the airport was covered in a layer of smoke.
Still, with risk of fire spreading overnight, authorities even issued a rare emergency notification to everyone in the area Wednesday evening — our phones went crazy as I visiting family just north of the airport:
As for this morning, so far it’s just a regular day at LAX, albeit one with far less clear skies than usual above the field. Either way, we’re all hoping the situation is under control soon.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.