This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In late September, American Airlines announced a new partnership with mattress company Casper to roll out a full suite of on-board bedding products “beginning in December.” The products will be offered on a wide selection of flights in premium cabins — premium economy, business and first — including AA’s long-haul international routes and certain domestic flights (Hawaii, transcontinental routes). Exact routes are listed here.
At the time of the announcement, the airline only referenced a December launch date. So, now that it’s December, we reached out to American to ask if there’s a specific date we can expect to see these new products. Turns out, it’s just a few days away: December 5.
An American Airlines spokesperson confirmed that this will be a hard launch. So, if you’re flying an international AA flight — say Dallas (DFW) to Hong Kong (HKG) — departing on December 4, you won’t have these amenities. However, passengers on the return flight back to the US will experience the full Casper experience.
Depending on the route and cabin, passengers will get a selection of products from the following list: mattress pad, duvet, pillow, day blanket, lumbar pillow, pajamas, slippers. We don’t have details about exactly which amenities will be available on which routes, but you can likely expect more amenities on longer routes.
How good are the products? I got a chance to check them out at AA’s Media Day in late September, and I was impressed. Each event attendee got a lumbar pillow and day blanket sample to take home, so I tried them on the flight back from Dallas (DFW) and loved the support of the pillow and feel of the blanket while in the air.
However, I haven’t had a chance to try them since because it turns out my wife Katie loves the products even more than I do. In the last two months, she has carried the pillow and blanket around six countries as we travel as digital nomads. She loves the pair so much that these not-small items earn valuable space in her 55-liter pack. So needless to say, we’re pretty excited to try out the full set of products shortly after they launch on December 5.
Are you booked in a premium cabin on a qualifying route after December 5?
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards