This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In late September, American Airlines announced a new partnership with mattress company Casper to roll out a full suite of on-board bedding products “beginning in December.” The products will be offered on a wide selection of flights in premium cabins — premium economy, business and first — including AA’s long-haul international routes and certain domestic flights (Hawaii, transcontinental routes). Exact routes are listed here.
At the time of the announcement, the airline only referenced a December launch date. So, now that it’s December, we reached out to American to ask if there’s a specific date we can expect to see these new products. Turns out, it’s just a few days away: December 5.
An American Airlines spokesperson confirmed that this will be a hard launch. So, if you’re flying an international AA flight — say Dallas (DFW) to Hong Kong (HKG) — departing on December 4, you won’t have these amenities. However, passengers on the return flight back to the US will experience the full Casper experience.
Depending on the route and cabin, passengers will get a selection of products from the following list: mattress pad, duvet, pillow, day blanket, lumbar pillow, pajamas, slippers. We don’t have details about exactly which amenities will be available on which routes, but you can likely expect more amenities on longer routes.
How good are the products? I got a chance to check them out at AA’s Media Day in late September, and I was impressed. Each event attendee got a lumbar pillow and day blanket sample to take home, so I tried them on the flight back from Dallas (DFW) and loved the support of the pillow and feel of the blanket while in the air.
However, I haven’t had a chance to try them since because it turns out my wife Katie loves the products even more than I do. In the last two months, she has carried the pillow and blanket around six countries as we travel as digital nomads. She loves the pair so much that these not-small items earn valuable space in her 55-liter pack. So needless to say, we’re pretty excited to try out the full set of products shortly after they launch on December 5.
Are you booked in a premium cabin on a qualifying route after December 5?
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees