This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In late September, American Airlines announced a new partnership with mattress company Casper to roll out a full suite of on-board bedding products “beginning in December.” The products will be offered on a wide selection of flights in premium cabins — premium economy, business and first — including AA’s long-haul international routes and certain domestic flights (Hawaii, transcontinental routes). Exact routes are listed here.
At the time of the announcement, the airline only referenced a December launch date. So, now that it’s December, we reached out to American to ask if there’s a specific date we can expect to see these new products. Turns out, it’s just a few days away: December 5.
An American Airlines spokesperson confirmed that this will be a hard launch. So, if you’re flying an international AA flight — say Dallas (DFW) to Hong Kong (HKG) — departing on December 4, you won’t have these amenities. However, passengers on the return flight back to the US will experience the full Casper experience.
Depending on the route and cabin, passengers will get a selection of products from the following list: mattress pad, duvet, pillow, day blanket, lumbar pillow, pajamas, slippers. We don’t have details about exactly which amenities will be available on which routes, but you can likely expect more amenities on longer routes.
How good are the products? I got a chance to check them out at AA’s Media Day in late September, and I was impressed. Each event attendee got a lumbar pillow and day blanket sample to take home, so I tried them on the flight back from Dallas (DFW) and loved the support of the pillow and feel of the blanket while in the air.
However, I haven’t had a chance to try them since because it turns out my wife Katie loves the products even more than I do. In the last two months, she has carried the pillow and blanket around six countries as we travel as digital nomads. She loves the pair so much that these not-small items earn valuable space in her 55-liter pack. So needless to say, we’re pretty excited to try out the full set of products shortly after they launch on December 5.
Are you booked in a premium cabin on a qualifying route after December 5?
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees