Last Chance to Use AAdvantage Miles on Jet Airways
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airline partnerships are a great thing for award travelers, as they unlock additional earning and redemption opportunities outside of flights on a single carrier’s metal. Unfortunately, these agreements aren’t always mutually beneficial, and earlier this year we learned that one such partnership (between American and Jet Airways) would be no longer as of the end of 2017. As a result, you now only have a couple of weeks left to redeem AAdvantage miles on Jet Airways, so if you’ve been eyeing one of these redemptions, it’s time to pull the trigger!
Jet Airways doesn’t have a massive worldwide route network — in fact, only has service from one North American airport: a nonstop daily flight from Toronto (YYZ) to Amsterdam (AMS). However, it does offer service from London (LHR), Paris (CDG) and Amsterdam (AMS) to several cities in India and has extensive domestic connections from there. The carrier also services many Middle Eastern destinations along with Hong Kong (HKG), Singapore (SIN) and Bangkok (BKK), giving you a number of options.
If you spring for business class, you’ll enjoy lie-flat seats on all of the carrier’s long haul aircraft, and if your desired routing includes a 777 leg, you also have the option of booking first class (for an idea of the hard product, check out TPG’s review of an Etihad-operated flight on a 777 wet-leased from Jet Airways).
Here’s a sampling of the number of AAdvantage miles you’d need on one-way Jet Airways-operated flights:
|Toronto (YYZ) to Amsterdam (AMS)||32,500||62,500||90,000|
|London (LHR) to New Delhi (DEL)||20,000||42,500||62,500|
|Dubai (DXB) to Mumbai (BOM)||17,500||30,000||40,000|
|Toronto (YYZ) to India via Amsterdam (AMS)||42,500||75,000||120,000|
|Wholly within India||10,000||17,500||N/A|
Unfortunately you can’t book these awards online, so you’ll need to call the AAdvantage Reservations line at 1-800-882-8880. However, you can use ExpertFlyer to search for both economy and business-class award inventory, and availability is quite good. For example, I see at least two seats in business class and 5+ in economy on the Toronto to Amsterdam flight most days through the summer, giving you quite a bit of flexibility when it comes to crossing the Atlantic.
That being said, with the partnership ending at the end of the year, there are a few important things to keep in mind:
- All award travel must be booked AND ticketed by December 31, 2017. As a result, if you’re planning to redeem your AAdvantage miles on Jet Airways, I would try to book by December 28 or 29 to allow plenty of time for the award to be ticketed and confirmed.
- Travel is valid for 1 year after ticket date but must be flown by December 31, 2018.
- You won’t be able to make changes to any Jet segments after 2017. In other words, be sure of your plans! While this explicitly only mentions Jet segments, I wouldn’t count on being able to make any changes to these itineraries once the clock strikes midnight on January 1, especially if your change involves a redeposit of your miles.
Finally, it’s important to note that American’s routing rules prohibit routing via a third region on an award ticket (with a few exceptions), so you wouldn’t be able to add a connecting AA flight to Toronto to then fly to Amsterdam. However, Europe is an allowable region to transit from North America to the Indian Subcontinent, making Toronto to India via Amsterdam in the above chart an acceptable itinerary.
Fortunately, even though you’ll no longer be able to redeem AAdvantage miles on Jet Airways in 2018, you’re not shut off from other redemption options. The carrier announced a new partnership with Delta at the end of 2016, and the flights are even searchable on Delta.com:
In addition, the carrier’s JetPrivilege program was just added as a Citi ThankYou Rewards transfer partner earlier this year, so you can now redeem points earned on cards like the Citi Prestige Card for Jet Airways flights. However, American is the winner when it comes to award rates for the Toronto to Amsterdam flights across all classes of service, as Jet Airways charges 37,500 in economy, 75,000 in business and 112,500 in first. Yet another reason to pull the trigger now if you’re interested!
Having an airline partnership end is never a good thing, as it reduces your flexibility when it comes to earning and/or redeeming your hard-earned miles. That being said, the upcoming breakup of American and Jet Airways at least came with plenty of notice (and isn’t surprising given Jet’s new arrangement with Delta). If you’re thinking of redeeming your AAdvantage miles on Jet Airways, you only have until the end of the year to finalize your plans, so get planning before it’s too late!
Featured image courtesy of Artur Widak/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.