The Hyatt Globalist Benefit We Somehow Had No Idea Existed
In October of 2016, we learned that Hyatt would be replacing its Gold Passport loyalty program with World of Hyatt. There were a slew of changes that went into effect on March 1, 2017 — while some perks remained, such as the four confirmed suite upgrades available to top-tier elites, others were modified significantly or removed altogether.
Somehow, one of the more exciting improvements flew under our radar entirely — until this week, both TPG and I had no idea that those four confirmed suite upgrades could be applied to full award stays. With the previous program, top-tier Diamond members could apply them to paid and cash and points stays, but full points awards weren’t eligible for confirmed upgrades — apparently that changed back on March 1, 2017. Who knew!
Hyatt’s terms and conditions confirm this change:
Suite Upgrade Awards are valid on nights for which the member has paid an Eligible Rate or has redeemed points for a standard-room Free Night Award, a Club Free Night Award, or a Points + Cash Award (each term as defined in the World of Hyatt program terms), up to a maximum of seven (7) consecutive nights. Not valid in connection with any Free Night Award other than those identified above, including, without limitation, Hyatt Credit Card premium and anniversary Free Night Awards, 5-brand Free Night Awards (as defined in the World of Hyatt program terms), or any other promotional Free Night Award.
As you’ll note above, full points awards are eligible, while free nights issued as part of a credit card or loyalty benefit are not. Still, the fact that you can use these certificates to move up to a suite on an entirely free stay is a significant boost to the Globalist tier. TPG and I both overlooked this change — I even missed it during my edit of Nick Ewen’s status valuation post in March — so I wanted to get the word out again in case anyone else missed it, too. After all, you can only take advantage of benefits you know exist, and this was a biggie to overlook!
Featured image by Michael Y. Park of the Park Hyatt St. Kitts.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.