The Hyatt Globalist Benefit We Somehow Had No Idea Existed
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In October of 2016, we learned that Hyatt would be replacing its Gold Passport loyalty program with World of Hyatt. There were a slew of changes that went into effect on March 1, 2017 — while some perks remained, such as the four confirmed suite upgrades available to top-tier elites, others were modified significantly or removed altogether.
Somehow, one of the more exciting improvements flew under our radar entirely — until this week, both TPG and I had no idea that those four confirmed suite upgrades could be applied to full award stays. With the previous program, top-tier Diamond members could apply them to paid and cash and points stays, but full points awards weren’t eligible for confirmed upgrades — apparently that changed back on March 1, 2017. Who knew!
Hyatt’s terms and conditions confirm this change:
Suite Upgrade Awards are valid on nights for which the member has paid an Eligible Rate or has redeemed points for a standard-room Free Night Award, a Club Free Night Award, or a Points + Cash Award (each term as defined in the World of Hyatt program terms), up to a maximum of seven (7) consecutive nights. Not valid in connection with any Free Night Award other than those identified above, including, without limitation, Hyatt Credit Card premium and anniversary Free Night Awards, 5-brand Free Night Awards (as defined in the World of Hyatt program terms), or any other promotional Free Night Award.
As you’ll note above, full points awards are eligible, while free nights issued as part of a credit card or loyalty benefit are not. Still, the fact that you can use these certificates to move up to a suite on an entirely free stay is a significant boost to the Globalist tier. TPG and I both overlooked this change — I even missed it during my edit of Nick Ewen’s status valuation post in March — so I wanted to get the word out again in case anyone else missed it, too. After all, you can only take advantage of benefits you know exist, and this was a biggie to overlook!
Featured image by Michael Y. Park of the Park Hyatt St. Kitts.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees