Honduras Sets Curfew Due to Riots, Airlines Allowing Free Flight Changes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Central American country of Honduras is in a state of crisis. Early results indicate that last Sunday’s election was a close affair between the incumbent president and an opposition candidate. With 75% of the votes counted, the opposition candidate holds a slim lead. but the final results of the election have been repeatedly delayed since the release of those partial returns on Wednesday.
As protesters demanded the full results, the government declared a curfew on Friday night, restricting free movement from 6pm to 6am for the next ten days. Security forces have been instructed to arrest anyone found outside during these times or who is “in some way suspected of causing damage to people or their property.”
With rioting and a nationwide curfew in effect, travelers and visitors will likely want to avoid visiting Honduras during this tumultuous time. Thankfully, airlines are allowing free flight changes for those who already have flights booked into the country.
- Travel dates: December 1-8
- Airports affected: Roatan, Honduras (RTB); San Pedro Sula, Honduras (SAP); Tegucigalpa, Honduras (TGU)
- Must have bought your ticket by December 1
- Rebook travel anytime between December 1-22
- You can’t change your origin or destination city. Must rebook in same cabin or pay the difference.
- Travel dates: December 2-4
- Airports affected: San Pedro Sula, Honduras (SAP) and Tegucigalpa, Honduras (TGU)
- Rebooked travel must begin no later than: December 9
- When rescheduled travel occurs beyond December 9, the change fee will be waived. However, a difference in fare may apply. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity, one year from date of original issue.
- If travel cannot be rescheduled within these guidelines, customers may cancel their reservation and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original ticket issuance.
- Travel dates: December 2-9
- Airports affected: San Pedro Sula, HN (SAP)
- Modification Charge/Fare Difference waived through: December 17, 2017
- After this date the modification charge is waived, but a fare difference may apply.
- Customers can make changes to their reservations affected by this event by going to Spirit’s Manage Travel page, or by calling the Spirit Reservations Center at 801-401-2222 to make their flight changes. To make changes to Spirit Vacation packages, contact Spirit Vacations at 954-698-0125.
- Travel dates: December 2-4
- Airports affected: Roatan, HN (RTB); San Pedro Sula, HN (SAP); Tegucigalpa, HN (TGU)
- The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before December 11, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
As of this writing, no waivers have been released by Avianca or COPA Airlines
Featured image by Orlando Sierra via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees