This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Platinum Card from American Express is one of my favorite credit cards for many reasons: Delta and Centurion lounge access, $200 airline credit to cover incidental fees, up to $200 annual Uber credits, Global Entry, an unbeatable 5X points on airfare purchases — I could go on. But one of the lesser-known perks is access to special events, which Amex has been putting on more and more regularly.
Some of my most memorable Amex event experiences took place within the last year, like when I was able spend an afternoon at the American Express Platinum House at the Parker Hotel in Palm Springs during Coachella — including participating in a SoulCycle class instructed by Senior Master Instructor and Platinum Collective member Stacey Griffith, or when I saw an exclusive performance by Kendrick Lamar at the Faena Hotel during Art Basel in Miami.
Art Basel is one of the world’s largest art fairs and also a really fun (and hectic) time to be in Miami with a seamlessly endless schedule of parties and events. I’ve been living in Miami for over five years now and attended several seasons of Art Basel. I’ve learned that for access to some of the best events, you need to know someone — and even then, the event can get to capacity and you can be left out in the cold (errr warm).
So this year I will definitely be taking advantage of Amex’s Platinum House and Event Access during Art Basel from December 7-10, 2017, and anyone who is a Premium Card Member (Platinum or Centurion) should too. I’ll be in and out of the events so if you see me, come say hello — we can talk points and miles over selfies and art!
Access to the Platinum House at The Miami Beach EDITION Hotel
This experience includes locally sourced and artfully curated food and beverage options, as well as merchandise from Knowlita; beauty services from brands like MILK Makeup, Ouai and Paintbox; special musical performances and even morning fitness classes by Well + Good including boxing, yoga and dance cardio (sign up required here). The experience is available December 8-10, 2017 for Card Members and up to three guests each.
FOOD MEETS ART at the SLS South Beach Hotel by Chef José Andrés
You can also feast on progressive delights curated by chef José Andrés, a member of the American Express Global Dining Collection, at the SLS South Beach Hotel. It’s a combination of art and cuisine as the special evening also features a live art installation by Puerto Rican artists Omar Obdulio and Carlos Mercado. Event proceeds will be donated to World Central Kitchen’s mission in Puerto Rico (they’ve set up over 2.5 million meals around the island since September 25, 2017) and other areas. The event is on Friday evening, December 8, 2017 and is open to Platinum and Centurion Card Members — tickets are required and can be purchased here.
Room 2022: An Installation by Es Devlin, Presented by American Express Platinum
An interactive experience — designed to reimagine the physical and psychological space of the Miami Beach EDITION hotel — will have your senses on high alert. You can make your way through this installation checking out things like the vaulted elliptical mirror maze, soundscapes and video art. This experience is open to the public, with a dedicated line for Platinum Card Members to enter, and the hours are as follows:
- December 7, 2017: 10:00am – 3:30pm and 6:30pm – 12:00am
- December 8 and 9, 2017: 10:00am – 1 1:00pm
- December 10, 2017: 10:00am – 3:00pm
Although Art Basel can sometimes be busy and even slightly overwhelming, I love checking out the exclusive events with American Express because I get to see some of the coolest installations in style — and often without the hectic crowds.
Featured image courtesy of Es Devlin.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Up to $200 for Uber rides annually. Credit and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That's up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees