Expedia May Soon Show You Pictures Next Time You Book a Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Online travel search giant Expedia is launching exciting new features that will allow displaying more details, including photos and videos, when searching for a flight.
Routehappy already provided Expedia with the ability to see if a flight has Wi-Fi, if there’s in-flight entertainment and if you’ll be able to plug your electronics into a power outlet.
Expedia is expanding this partnership, which will integrate the company’s Universal Product Attributes (UPA) and Universal Ticket Attributes (UTAs) into Expedia plus its other websites, Orbitz and Travelocity.
For those who don’t speak online travel agency (OTA) jargon, a UPA holds data like photos and videos of an aircraft’s cabin and seats, while a UTA contains information regarding an airline’s fare class including its restrictions and benefits — so you’ll know if you’re buying a basic economy fare, for example.
For consumers this means Expedia’s search features will include more information at first sight. It also could lead to a similar experience to that of booking a hotel through an OTA — meaning you can see pictures of a property’s room, lobby and pool. It’s possible we’ll see pictures of an airline’s cabin or seat.
A senior director at Expedia, David Krieger, told APEX that the new changes “might include photos, videos, and at-a-glance views of what’s included in the fare.” Krieger added that Expedia plans “to roll out this enhanced capability across our brands in the near future.”
This move could help Expedia differentiate itself from Google Flights, which the company has seen increased competition from. Google Flights does not have any photo or video integration on its platform, and usually you have to click through to an airline’s website or another OTA to book a ticket.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees