Expedia May Soon Show You Pictures Next Time You Book a Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Online travel search giant Expedia is launching exciting new features that will allow displaying more details, including photos and videos, when searching for a flight.
Routehappy already provided Expedia with the ability to see if a flight has Wi-Fi, if there’s in-flight entertainment and if you’ll be able to plug your electronics into a power outlet.
Expedia is expanding this partnership, which will integrate the company’s Universal Product Attributes (UPA) and Universal Ticket Attributes (UTAs) into Expedia plus its other websites, Orbitz and Travelocity.
For those who don’t speak online travel agency (OTA) jargon, a UPA holds data like photos and videos of an aircraft’s cabin and seats, while a UTA contains information regarding an airline’s fare class including its restrictions and benefits — so you’ll know if you’re buying a basic economy fare, for example.
For consumers this means Expedia’s search features will include more information at first sight. It also could lead to a similar experience to that of booking a hotel through an OTA — meaning you can see pictures of a property’s room, lobby and pool. It’s possible we’ll see pictures of an airline’s cabin or seat.
A senior director at Expedia, David Krieger, told APEX that the new changes “might include photos, videos, and at-a-glance views of what’s included in the fare.” Krieger added that Expedia plans “to roll out this enhanced capability across our brands in the near future.”
This move could help Expedia differentiate itself from Google Flights, which the company has seen increased competition from. Google Flights does not have any photo or video integration on its platform, and usually you have to click through to an airline’s website or another OTA to book a ticket.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.