Europe’s Most Luxurious Indoor Hotel Pools
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When you think of hotel swimming pools, tropical destinations with fruity drinks usually come to mind first. There’s nothing better than cooling off beneath the swaying palm trees, right? That is, until you’re smack dab in the middle of the Swiss Alps or Tuscan wine country.
Thanks to a spate of stunning hotel indoor pools, travelers to Europe this winter don’t need to skip their dip. Below, 10 of the most luxurious:
1. Hotel d’Angleterre in Copenhagen, Denmark
The newly renovated “White Lady”, as the 1755 hotel is known, has a subterranean swimming pool — in fact, the only pool in Copenhagen’s city center. Why? A century ago, when public bathing was the norm, most homes in the city center didn’t have private bathrooms. As buildings were renovated over the years and private bathrooms became increasingly standard, the last of the public baths closed in Copenhagen in 2010. D’Angleterre’s pool remained.
2. Hotel Adlon Kempinski in Berlin, Germany
You’ll get a taste of Greece in the heart of Germany at this historic five-star hotel. Located just opposite the iconic Brandenburg Gate in Berlin, the indoor pool measures 20 by 36 feet and is part of the 9,000-square-foot Adlon Spa by Resense. The décor features stone lions’ heads, columns and Greek goddesses.
3. Ashford Castle in County Mayo, Ireland
The historic 13th-century Ashford Castle, set on 350 acres, reopened in 2015 after a massive two-year restoration. Today, the pool, housed within a striking new bronze conservatory designed by French architect Philippe Bonino, boasts views across serene Lough Corrib lake. Meanwhile, a Tree of Life mural, by South African ceramic mosaic artist Jane Du Rand, stretches across an entire wall.
4. Hotel Excelsior in Dubrovnik, Croatia
Housed in a former 1913 royal villa and adored by famous guests like Queen Elizabeth II and Elizabeth Taylor, Hotel Excelsior is one of the most lavish hotels on the Adriatic and steps away from the UNESCO Old City of Dubrovnik. Located on the ground floor, below a tranquil spa and fitness center, is an indoor infinity pool situated next to wall-to-wall glass doors that open to views of the Adriatic Sea just beyond.
5. Toscana Resort in Castelfalfi, Italy
Il Castelfalfi, which opened in April, is part of the Toscana Resort Castelfalfi, a 27,000-acre development 40 minutes outside Pisa. Even when it’s chilly, you can float in the secluded pool while overlooking the rolling hills of Tuscan wine country. After your swim, be sure to relax in the nearby salt and ice cave.
6. One Aldwych in London, England
Though it’s nestled in London’s bustling Covent Garden district, The Aldwych’s 59-foot chlorine-free swimming pool is truly a hidden gem. There’s even an underwater music system, which means you can listen to soothing tunes while doing laps in a softly mood-lit room.
7. Intercontinental Grand Hotel de Bordeaux in Bordeaux, France
Everything about the pool at the lovely and delightful InterContinental Grand Hotel de Bordeaux exudes drama, from the two-story red-and-black columns to the golden statues lining the water. But it’s he waterfalls and European art that really bring things over the top. Once you get tired of relaxing, you can adjust the current speed to suit your endurance for laps.
8. Badrutt Palace Hotel in St. Moritz, Switzerland
The pool at this Swiss hotel is surrounded by floor-to-ceiling windows that overlook the Alps. That means you can take a picturesque dip in the middle of winter while soaking in views of the stunning snowcapped mountains.
9. The Westin in Valencia, Spain
The indoor pool at the Westin Valencia measures 25 square meters (about 270 square feet), and it’s not just pretty to look at: ionized saltwater makes it therapeutic too. It’s also elegantly designed and furnished with comfy lounge chairs, making it a pretty great place to relax in the heart of the Mediterranean city.
10. Sans Souci Wien in Vienna, Austria
The super-sleek 60-foot-long pool is the epitome of modern design: There’s nothing surrounding the water except for pale-wood walls, an off-white arched roof and several Viabizzuno crystal chandeliers.
Feature photo courtesy Ashford Castle
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees