Two Emirates Suite Features I Could Live Without
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s a new top contender for the title of “world’s best first class,” and it just started flying on December 1. Emirates’ much-improved 777-300ER suite is simply outstanding — I even prefer it to the larger Etihad Apartment, arguably the former first-class champ.
The suite is loaded with gizmos and gadgets — some serve to elevate the experience, such as the virtual windows in center seats, but two have left me a bit puzzled, and underwhelmed. Both go hand-in-hand, and are intended to enhance the level of privacy, almost completely eliminating any need for in-person human interaction.
The first is a video chat tool that’s built into the 13-inch tablet that’s used to control the suite’s entertainment features. Rather than press the flight attendant call button and wait for someone to appear, you can chat with the crew through a video camera. It’s weird, but I ordered several dishes through the system, for the purposes of this video:
When I wasn’t filming, I pressed the call button and waited the five or so seconds for a flight attendant to appear before making my request. Of course this required opening the suite door, so if you want to keep that shut for the entire flight then perhaps video chat is the way to go.
But how can you get your food if you’re not willing to slide open the door? Well, Emirates has a solution for that, too, that I’ve affectionately labeled “the hatch.” A flight attendant will slide up a panel to the side of the door, pass your items through the hole and then slide it closed. Similarly bizarre.
Now before you jump all over Emirates for perhaps taking things a bit too far, keep in mind that there’s no requirement to use any of these features — with the hatch closed and the tablet used for more traditional purposes, you wouldn’t have any idea they even exist. And if I ever get to fly this suite again, I’ll be making my requests in person like a normal human being.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees