This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Emirates’ new first-class suite is incredible and one of the best hard products flying in the sky right now. And soon, Emirates will begin flying it to a destination that it already serves — but to a different airport. As of June 8, 2018, Emirates will begin nonstop service between Dubai (DXB) and London Stansted (STN) with its new Boeing 777-300ER aircraft, equipped with the stunning first-class suite.
The Dubai-based carrier already serves London Heathrow (LHR) and London Gatwick (LGW), so there’s no shortage of nonstop options between the two cities. In fact, all 6x daily flights to LHR and the 3x daily flights to LGW are operated by A380s. The new DXB-STN route, which was announced on Wednesday, will operate daily on the following schedule:
- EK33 Dubai (DXB) 9:30am Departure ⇒ London (STN) 2:10pm Arrival
- EK34 London (STN) 9:10pm Departure ⇒ Dubai (DXB) 7:05am (+1) Arrival
“Opening the London Stansted gateway was a strategic decision by Emirates to serve the thriving business community in London’s north east and the wider 7.5 million population that fall within its catchment area,” said Emirates in the announcement.
Clearly there’s a lot of demand from Dubai to London, which doesn’t make the decision to add STN to its route network all that surprising. With open slots hard to come by at LHR, Emirates is clearly trying bypass the congestion at the airport and add another London option to its network. With the addition, the only London airports that Emirates does not serve are Luton (LTN), City (LCY) and Southend (SEN). Emirates will be the first Middle Eastern carrier to operate out of Stansted, the same airport that’s low-cost carrier Ryanair’s home base along with Dublin.
Emirates’ 777-300ERs featuring the new suites are equipped with three cabins: first, business and economy. Economy has 310 seats in a 3-4-3 configuration, with 32 inches of pitch and 17 inches of width. Business class has 42 seats, unfortunately arranged in a 2-3-2 configuration, with each seats at 60 inches of pitch and 20.5 inches of width, but with a middle seat and no direct aisle access for all seats. Finally, the highlight of the aircraft is the first-class cabin, which is composed of eight seats in a 1-2-1 configuration. You really have to see it to believe it — check out Zach Honig’s review.
Tickets are now available to purchase on this new route. We’re seeing round-trip fares in June for AED 2,665 (~$726) in economy. Alternatively, you can use miles to book this itinerary. There seems to be some decent availability in business class, but no first class availability.
Overall, this is an interesting choice from Emirates — and good news for travelers. Because STN is smaller and less congested, it should be easier to get around and make for a less hectic experience, especially when compared to LHR. If you have the opportunity, the new first-class cabin is one that you should not pass up. It already flies to Brussels (BRU) and Geneva (GVA).
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees