This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Emirates’ new first-class suite is incredible and one of the best hard products flying in the sky right now. And soon, Emirates will begin flying it to a destination that it already serves — but to a different airport. As of June 8, 2018, Emirates will begin nonstop service between Dubai (DXB) and London Stansted (STN) with its new Boeing 777-300ER aircraft, equipped with the stunning first-class suite.
The Dubai-based carrier already serves London Heathrow (LHR) and London Gatwick (LGW), so there’s no shortage of nonstop options between the two cities. In fact, all 6x daily flights to LHR and the 3x daily flights to LGW are operated by A380s. The new DXB-STN route, which was announced on Wednesday, will operate daily on the following schedule:
- EK33 Dubai (DXB) 9:30am Departure ⇒ London (STN) 2:10pm Arrival
- EK34 London (STN) 9:10pm Departure ⇒ Dubai (DXB) 7:05am (+1) Arrival
“Opening the London Stansted gateway was a strategic decision by Emirates to serve the thriving business community in London’s north east and the wider 7.5 million population that fall within its catchment area,” said Emirates in the announcement.
Clearly there’s a lot of demand from Dubai to London, which doesn’t make the decision to add STN to its route network all that surprising. With open slots hard to come by at LHR, Emirates is clearly trying bypass the congestion at the airport and add another London option to its network. With the addition, the only London airports that Emirates does not serve are Luton (LTN), City (LCY) and Southend (SEN). Emirates will be the first Middle Eastern carrier to operate out of Stansted, the same airport that’s low-cost carrier Ryanair’s home base along with Dublin.
Emirates’ 777-300ERs featuring the new suites are equipped with three cabins: first, business and economy. Economy has 310 seats in a 3-4-3 configuration, with 32 inches of pitch and 17 inches of width. Business class has 42 seats, unfortunately arranged in a 2-3-2 configuration, with each seats at 60 inches of pitch and 20.5 inches of width, but with a middle seat and no direct aisle access for all seats. Finally, the highlight of the aircraft is the first-class cabin, which is composed of eight seats in a 1-2-1 configuration. You really have to see it to believe it — check out Zach Honig’s review.
Tickets are now available to purchase on this new route. We’re seeing round-trip fares in June for AED 2,665 (~$726) in economy. Alternatively, you can use miles to book this itinerary. There seems to be some decent availability in business class, but no first class availability.
Overall, this is an interesting choice from Emirates — and good news for travelers. Because STN is smaller and less congested, it should be easier to get around and make for a less hectic experience, especially when compared to LHR. If you have the opportunity, the new first-class cabin is one that you should not pass up. It already flies to Brussels (BRU) and Geneva (GVA).
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees