This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just call Ires Alves Pereira “the Biter From Brazil.”
The inebriated 40-year-old dual Brazilian-American citizen was on a flight from Sao Paulo (GRU) to New York (JFK) on Monday when she suddenly punched her seatmate in the face, then took the brawl into the aisle of the plane. When three flight attendants tried to restrain her, according to court documents, she bit them. An unlucky passenger assisting the crew was rewarded with one of her feet to the face, breaking his glasses.
Eventually, passengers managed to get the Manhattan resident back in her seat, where they restrained her until the plane landed in New York. Three flight attendants were treated at a New York hospital.
According to the New York Post, Pereira appeared, outfitted with Louis Vuitton luggage and Chanel handbag, at federal court in Brooklyn on Wednesday. There, she was formally charged with assault and other crimes. She was released on bond and reportedly thanked court officers for providing her with bacon sandwiches while in detention, but refused to answer questions from reporters present.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Up to $200 for Uber rides annually. Credit and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees