This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just call Ires Alves Pereira “the Biter From Brazil.”
The inebriated 40-year-old dual Brazilian-American citizen was on a flight from Sao Paulo (GRU) to New York (JFK) on Monday when she suddenly punched her seatmate in the face, then took the brawl into the aisle of the plane. When three flight attendants tried to restrain her, according to court documents, she bit them. An unlucky passenger assisting the crew was rewarded with one of her feet to the face, breaking his glasses.
Eventually, passengers managed to get the Manhattan resident back in her seat, where they restrained her until the plane landed in New York. Three flight attendants were treated at a New York hospital.
According to the New York Post, Pereira appeared, outfitted with Louis Vuitton luggage and Chanel handbag, at federal court in Brooklyn on Wednesday. There, she was formally charged with assault and other crimes. She was released on bond and reportedly thanked court officers for providing her with bacon sandwiches while in detention, but refused to answer questions from reporters present.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards