This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Just when we think the flight deals to Southeast Asia couldn’t get better, airlines continue to drop fares. Today, mostly Star Alliance airlines are offering deals from a smattering of US cities to Southeast Asia starting at just $455 round-trip. You don’t need any tricks to get these prices, just use Google Flights to set the dates you want, then book on Expedia or directly with the airline itself.
Airline: ANA, United, EVA Air, Qatar
Routes: JFK/LAX/EWR/IAD/SEA/SJC/DEN/IAH/DFW to SIN/KUL/SGN/BKK
Cost: $455+ round-trip in economy class
Dates: January-May 2018
Booking Link: Expedia or with the airline directly
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York’s JFK to Singapore (SIN) for $455 round-trip via Expedia:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) for $468 round-trip:
Newark (EWR) to Singapore (SIN) for $468 round-trip:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Ho Chi Minh (SGN) for $546 round-trip via Expedia:
Washington DC (IAD) to Bangkok (BKK) for $571 round-trip:
Seattle (SEA) to Ho Chi Minh (SGN) for $581 round-trip via Expedia:
San Jose (SJC) to Ho Chi Minh (SGN) for $621 round-trip via Expedia:
Denver (DEN) to Bangkok (BKK) for $631 round-trip:
Houston (IAH) to Bangkok (BKK) for $631 round-trip:
Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) for $699 round-trip via Expedia:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below.
Featured image by Chris McGrath / Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees