This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
If Southeast Asia has been on your travel bucket list, there’s a very nice sale today on flights to the capital of Thailand on Star Alliance partners United and ANA. Right now you’ll find great deals on itineraries from all over the US — including New York/Newark (EWR), Washington DC (IAD), Chicago (ORD), San Jose (SJC), San Francisco (SFO) and Los Angeles (LAX) to Bangkok (BKK) for as low as $551 round-trip.
Depending on your origin city, these flights are mostly available from September through October, but you may find dates in April and May as well. You don’t need any tricks to see these airfares, so use Google Flights to find the dates you want, then book on Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline itself. Bangkok is a great hub, as you can often find cheap flights from there to Phuket, Koh Samui and elsewhere in Southeast Asia.
Most of these itineraries have one reasonable connection in Tokyo, Japan (NRT/HND), and since these are international trips on full-service carriers, there’s a complimentary meal served during the flight and no first checked bag fees.
Airlines: United Airlines, ANA
Routes: EWR/IAD/ORD/SJC/SFO/LAX to BKK
Cost: $551+ round-trip in economy
Dates: September through November (with a few scattered dates in April-May)
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Bangkok, Thailand (BKK) for $551 round-trip via Orbitz:
San Francisco (SFO) to Bangkok (BKK) for $571 round-trip via Orbitz:
Washington DC (IAD) to Bangkok (BKK) for $571 round-trip via Orbitz:
San Jose (SJC) to Bangkok (BKK) for $571 round-trip via Orbitz:
New York/Newark (EWR) to Bangkok (BKK) for $591 round-trip via Orbitz:
Chicago (ORD) to Bangkok (BKK) for $630 round-trip via Orbitz:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by PhotoBylov/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees