Deal Alert: US Transcontinental Flights from $84 Each Way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
If you have plans to head across the country in early 2018, today’s a great day to book a cheap flight. Right now we’re seeing excellent fares on JetBlue and Alaska Airlines in and out of New York (JFK) and Boston (BOS) to the West Coast. Destinations include both major and smaller cities in the west, including Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO), Reno (RNO) and Palm Springs (PSP), starting as low as $84 in each direction.
Flights to LAX and SFO are available throughout January and the first half of February with excellent availability in both directions, while the airfares to Reno and Palm Springs extend further out with dates as late as April.
In addition to JetBlue and Alaska, a few legacy carriers have matched these airfares on some routes. However, we’re not including them here because those itineraries are in Basic Economy, which means you’ll get reduced services while still paying the same price. Instead, with both JetBlue and Alaska, you’ll get a standard seat assignment along with the usual carry on allowances and boarding priority, so they’re your best bet.
Airline: JetBlue and Alaska Airlines
Routes: JFK/BOS to LAX/SFO/PSP/RNO
Cost: $84+ one way in economy
Booking Link: Expedia or with the airline directly
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Reno, Nevada (RNO) for $84 one way on JetBlue via Expedia:
Reno (RNO) to New York (JFK) for $84 one way on JetBlue via Expedia:
New York (JFK) to Palm Springs (PSP) for $93 one way on JetBlue via Expedia:
Palm Springs (PSP) to New York (JFK) for $93 one way on JetBlue via Expedia:
New York (JFK) to San Francisco (SFO) for $113 one way on Alaska via Expedia:
San Francisco (SFO) to New York (JFK) for $113 one way on Alaska via Expedia:
New York (JFK) to Los Angeles (LAX) for $118 one way on JetBlue via Expedia:
Los Angeles (LAX) to New York (JFK) for $118 one way on JetBlue via Expedia:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below.
H/T: The Flight Deal
Featured image by David McNew/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees