Deal Alert: US Transcontinental Flights from $84 Each Way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
If you have plans to head across the country in early 2018, today’s a great day to book a cheap flight. Right now we’re seeing excellent fares on JetBlue and Alaska Airlines in and out of New York (JFK) and Boston (BOS) to the West Coast. Destinations include both major and smaller cities in the west, including Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO), Reno (RNO) and Palm Springs (PSP), starting as low as $84 in each direction.
Flights to LAX and SFO are available throughout January and the first half of February with excellent availability in both directions, while the airfares to Reno and Palm Springs extend further out with dates as late as April.
In addition to JetBlue and Alaska, a few legacy carriers have matched these airfares on some routes. However, we’re not including them here because those itineraries are in Basic Economy, which means you’ll get reduced services while still paying the same price. Instead, with both JetBlue and Alaska, you’ll get a standard seat assignment along with the usual carry on allowances and boarding priority, so they’re your best bet.
Airline: JetBlue and Alaska Airlines
Routes: JFK/BOS to LAX/SFO/PSP/RNO
Cost: $84+ one way in economy
Booking Link: Expedia or with the airline directly
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Reno, Nevada (RNO) for $84 one way on JetBlue via Expedia:
Reno (RNO) to New York (JFK) for $84 one way on JetBlue via Expedia:
New York (JFK) to Palm Springs (PSP) for $93 one way on JetBlue via Expedia:
Palm Springs (PSP) to New York (JFK) for $93 one way on JetBlue via Expedia:
New York (JFK) to San Francisco (SFO) for $113 one way on Alaska via Expedia:
San Francisco (SFO) to New York (JFK) for $113 one way on Alaska via Expedia:
New York (JFK) to Los Angeles (LAX) for $118 one way on JetBlue via Expedia:
Los Angeles (LAX) to New York (JFK) for $118 one way on JetBlue via Expedia:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below.
H/T: The Flight Deal
Featured image by David McNew/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.