Early Morning Evacuation at Dallas Love Field Leads to Congestion and Delays
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the busiest holiday travel days of the year got off to a rocky start for Dallas Love Field Airport (DAL). Around 4:30am CT on Friday, the airport was evacuated when smoke was detected in the terminal.
In the aftermath of the evacuation, the City of Dallas confirmed that the cause of the smoke was an overheated air conditioning unit.
Following the brief evacuation, which lasted for only about 30 minutes, DAL said that airport operations were set to resume as normal. However, as travelers were soon to find out, the evacuation would cause some headaches. Videos posted on social media show the long lines and congested terminal.
According to the DAL Twitter page, passengers who have travel planned from the airport on Friday morning should give themselves 1.5 hours to get through the TSA security checkpoint.
The airport is facing residual delays as the result of the evacuation. FlightAware’s Misery Map shows that the airport is facing significant delays. So far on Friday, the airport has seen 43 delays and one cancellation.
If you’re traveling through DAL on Friday, be sure to check with your airline to see if your flight is encountering any delays.
Featured image by RJ Sangosti / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.