Early Morning Evacuation at Dallas Love Field Leads to Congestion and Delays
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the busiest holiday travel days of the year got off to a rocky start for Dallas Love Field Airport (DAL). Around 4:30am CT on Friday, the airport was evacuated when smoke was detected in the terminal.
In the aftermath of the evacuation, the City of Dallas confirmed that the cause of the smoke was an overheated air conditioning unit.
Following the brief evacuation, which lasted for only about 30 minutes, DAL said that airport operations were set to resume as normal. However, as travelers were soon to find out, the evacuation would cause some headaches. Videos posted on social media show the long lines and congested terminal.
According to the DAL Twitter page, passengers who have travel planned from the airport on Friday morning should give themselves 1.5 hours to get through the TSA security checkpoint.
The airport is facing residual delays as the result of the evacuation. FlightAware’s Misery Map shows that the airport is facing significant delays. So far on Friday, the airport has seen 43 delays and one cancellation.
If you’re traveling through DAL on Friday, be sure to check with your airline to see if your flight is encountering any delays.
Featured image by RJ Sangosti / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees