Basketball Players Wrongfully Accused of Stealing, Kicked Off American Airlines Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines has gotten a lot of negative feedback for its treatment of African-American passengers recently, prompting the NAACP to go as far as issuing an advisory warning travelers to avoid the world’s largest airline. Now, AA is facing backlash again for how a flight attendant treated two black professional basketball players on a recent flight.
Here’s what’s known about the situation: On Christmas Eve, two African-American members of the Memphis Hustle — a minor affiliate of the Memphis Grizzles basketball team — boarded an American Airlines flight from Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Sioux Falls, South Dakota (FSD). The flight was operated by Envoy Air, an American Eagle airline.
For an undisclosed reason, two first class passengers gave the Memphis Hustle players — guard Marquis Teague and forward Trahson Burrell — their first class blankets. When an African-American flight attendant noticed the two men sitting in economy with first class blankets, he accused the men of stealing the blankets from first class. In the argument that ensued, the flight attendant said he felt unsafe traveling with the two passengers and forced them off of the flight.
An American Airlines spokesperson confirmed the events and explained the airline’s follow-up from there: An AA station manager met with the players, apologized for the situation and re-accommodated the passengers in first class on the next flight.
However, there are understandably not many flights between DFW-FSD, and the later flight didn’t arrive in time for the players to make the team’s Christmas dinner in Sioux Falls.
In a statement to The Points Guy, the airline apologized for the situation:
We apologize for what occurred on this flight. We take pride in bringing people together, and we know that on this flight we let some of our customers down. Our team at American, along with Envoy Air, is reviewing what happened, and will be reaching out to them.
As part of its reconciliation with the NAACP, American Airlines is launching an implicit bias training for all of its employees. I confirmed with an American Airlines spokesperson that this training will also include Envoy Air employees.
Featured image by John Gress / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees