This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express is targeting some cardholders of the Platinum Card from American Express with the opportunity to earn 10,000 bonus Membership Rewards points. The issuer is sending out emails to targeted Platinum cardholders with a great offer to earn 10,000 bonus MR points after making 10 purchases with your card.
Even if you didn’t receive an email that you were targeted, there’s a public landing page where you can enter your Amex info to manually see if you were targeted. Some users on Reddit reported that they never received an email but were able to register for the offer on the public landing page. So, even if you didn’t receive an email, this could be worth checking out.
According to the terms and conditions, you must register for the promotion by December 31, 2017, if you were targeted. In order to get the 10,000 bonus points, you must make the 10 purchases with your Platinum Card by January 31, 2018. Eligible purchases can be made by both the primary cardholder and any additional cardholders on a single account. There’s no minimum purchase amount, so really you could make 10 separate grocery purchases and meet the minimum 10-purchase requirement — they just must be separate transactions.
Overall, this is a really nice promotion from American Express. Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, the 10,000 bonus points are worth $190, so you’re getting a nice return by using your card for these purchases. In addition, you’ll receive the bonus points from each purchase. As a reminder, the Platinum Card earns 5x points on airfare booked directly with the airline or Amex Travel, 5x points on hotel bookings made through amextravel.com and 1x points on everything else.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Up to $200 for Uber rides annually. Credit and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees